Home » Opinion » Editorials
Shaheen's hindsight: Rethinking the medical device tax
On Dec. 4, Sen. Jeanne Shaheen signed a letter asking Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid to delay implementing Obamacare's 2.3 percent medical device tax, which is set to take effect on Jan. 1. It took her only two years, 8 months and 13 days to do it. That is how much time elapsed between her voting for Obamacare and signing the letter. The Senate has only 19 days left to act before the tax takes effect. Where, one wonders, has Shaheen been all this time?
Shaheen was one of 16 (14 senators and two senators-elect) to sign the letter. Among them were Sens. John Kerry and Sen.-elect Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, Sens. Al Franken and Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota and Sens. Charles Schumer and Kristen Gillibrand of New York - all Democrats from states with a vibrant medical device industry, which is about to get whacked hard by the tax most of them voted for.
The Advanced Medical Technology Association says the tax will cost 43,000 jobs. It will also raise the cost of medical care, as manufacturers will of course pass the tax along to consumers. Tim Steele, owner and founder of Microspec in Peterborough, told the Union Leader last month, "Everyone is talking about medical care costs going up, and here is something that is making them go up even faster."
Such are the unintended, though perfectly predictable, consequences of wealth redistribution. That Shaheen is scrambling at the last minute to lighten the impact shows that she understands how harmful it is going to be. If only she had listened when this was pointed out at the time.
READER COMMENTS: 6
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 13
- Needing answers in Weare: The first step to accountability - 0
- Where terrorists win: The world's one 'kill Americans' zone - 6
- Expanding NH economy: Of energy costs, trains and clowns - 3
- Obama acts illegally: Shaheen parrots his talking points - 64
- Regulations must adapt: Cities cannot squash the new economy - 3
- Offend someone? To jail with you! - 22
- King Obama: Creating a constitutional crisis - 42
- VA wait times: They are still bad - 6
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Heavy, wet snow causes extended outages for Unitil customers - 0
- Osgood Road closed in Milford, 33% without power - 0
- PSNH says storm ranks as 4th largest for peak outage - 0
- Henniker police shoot suspect in truck heist - 0
- More than 200,000 New Hampshire customers without power - 1
- Thanksgiving travel a nightmare as storm dumps heavy, wet snow - 3
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats put selves in strong position - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
Person found dead in Manchester alley
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
NH suffers 4th worst outage on record