Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Celtics go to double OT to edge Mavs, 117-115
BOSTON -- Paul Pierce scored eight of his season-high 34 points in the second overtime and Rajon Rondo fell one rebound shy of a triple double as host Boston snapped a four-game losing skid to Dallas with a thrilling 117-115 double-overtime win on Wednesday.
Rondo finished with 16 points and 15 assists to go along with a career-high 53 minutes for the Celtics, who have won four consecutive home games.
O.J. Mayo scored 18 of his 24 points after halftime to lead seven players in double digits for the Mavericks, who saw their three-game winning streak come to an end.
Boston had the final possessions in both regulation and the first overtime, but Rondo and Pierce saw their respective last-second shots fall short.
Pierce made amends by drilling a 3-pointer on the Celtics' first possession of the second overtime. The veteran calmly sank five free throws in the session to seal the win.
- - - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: Celtics G Jason Terry played against his former team for the first time since signing a three-year deal in the offseason. Terry, who finished with 10 points, competed with the Mavericks for eight campaigns. ... Wednesday's game was just the second one to go into overtime between the teams. The first came on Dec. 30, 1983, when Hall of Famer Larry Bird scored 36 points in a 114-109 Boston win. ... Dallas F Shawn Marion returned following a two-game absence with a strained groin. He finished with 16 points and 11 rebounds.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Green, Celtics blow out Cavs - 0
- Celtics late rally falls short - 0
- Crawford, Celtics ease past Bobcats - 0
- Celtics top Hawks to halt six-game skid - 0
- Spurs top Celtics to extend win streak - 0
- Timberwolves hand Celtics third straight loss - 0
- Aldridge double-double sends Celtics to loss - 0
- Warning sign saves former St. A hoop coach Clifford - 0
- Bobcats end Celtics' four-game win streak - 0
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Police: Body found in Portsmouth creek not missing UNH student - 0
- Convicted drug dealer arrested in Nashua on more drug charges - 0
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 0
- Police: Laconia man threatened harm to toddler - 0
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 1
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- Sen. Ayotte pushes for bigger broadband bang for buck - 0
- Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden - 1
- Hanover’s Grabill named top regional soccer coach - 0
Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden
Ex-Tyco CEO granted parole
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown cites NH as example of Obamacare 'trainwreck,' will keynote NHGOP event