Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Celtics go to double OT to edge Mavs, 117-115
BOSTON -- Paul Pierce scored eight of his season-high 34 points in the second overtime and Rajon Rondo fell one rebound shy of a triple double as host Boston snapped a four-game losing skid to Dallas with a thrilling 117-115 double-overtime win on Wednesday.
Rondo finished with 16 points and 15 assists to go along with a career-high 53 minutes for the Celtics, who have won four consecutive home games.
O.J. Mayo scored 18 of his 24 points after halftime to lead seven players in double digits for the Mavericks, who saw their three-game winning streak come to an end.
Boston had the final possessions in both regulation and the first overtime, but Rondo and Pierce saw their respective last-second shots fall short.
Pierce made amends by drilling a 3-pointer on the Celtics' first possession of the second overtime. The veteran calmly sank five free throws in the session to seal the win.
- - - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: Celtics G Jason Terry played against his former team for the first time since signing a three-year deal in the offseason. Terry, who finished with 10 points, competed with the Mavericks for eight campaigns. ... Wednesday's game was just the second one to go into overtime between the teams. The first came on Dec. 30, 1983, when Hall of Famer Larry Bird scored 36 points in a 114-109 Boston win. ... Dallas F Shawn Marion returned following a two-game absence with a strained groin. He finished with 16 points and 11 rebounds.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats piece puzzle together - 0
- Texans tap Londonderry's Griffin in NFL Draft - 1
- Patriots make LB, WR top draft picks - 0
- Vikings make NFL Draft splash with three first-round picks, huge trade with Pats - 0
- Top pick Fisher leads linemen's march at NFL Draft - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Patience a virtue for Pats - 0
- Patriots to open, close season with Bills - 0
- Steelers match Patriots' offer, retain wide receiver Sanders - 0
- Patriots re-sign Edelman, make offer to Sanders - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Senate removes student IDs as indisputable ID for voting - 0
- Somersworth man indicted for Market Basket robbery in Epping - 0
- Former editor indicted on child porn charges - 1
- White powder in Salem shipping container posed no serious risks - 0
- 65 mph OK for E-ZPass drivers with opening of new lanes at Hooksett toll plaza - 2
- Updated: NH Senate kills House-passed gas, tobacco tax hikes - 5
- Senate Finance Committee rejects Medicaid expansion - 13
- Man wielding pipe robs Cumberland Farms in Goffstown - 0
- Buchholz moves to 7-0 as Red Sox post win - 0
License revocations for DWI announced
State’s stand-your-ground law intact
Pease chosen to receive refueling tanker