Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Celtics go to double OT to edge Mavs, 117-115
BOSTON -- Paul Pierce scored eight of his season-high 34 points in the second overtime and Rajon Rondo fell one rebound shy of a triple double as host Boston snapped a four-game losing skid to Dallas with a thrilling 117-115 double-overtime win on Wednesday.
Rondo finished with 16 points and 15 assists to go along with a career-high 53 minutes for the Celtics, who have won four consecutive home games.
O.J. Mayo scored 18 of his 24 points after halftime to lead seven players in double digits for the Mavericks, who saw their three-game winning streak come to an end.
Boston had the final possessions in both regulation and the first overtime, but Rondo and Pierce saw their respective last-second shots fall short.
Pierce made amends by drilling a 3-pointer on the Celtics' first possession of the second overtime. The veteran calmly sank five free throws in the session to seal the win.
- - - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: Celtics G Jason Terry played against his former team for the first time since signing a three-year deal in the offseason. Terry, who finished with 10 points, competed with the Mavericks for eight campaigns. ... Wednesday's game was just the second one to go into overtime between the teams. The first came on Dec. 30, 1983, when Hall of Famer Larry Bird scored 36 points in a 114-109 Boston win. ... Dallas F Shawn Marion returned following a two-game absence with a strained groin. He finished with 16 points and 11 rebounds.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- An NSA setback: Fourth Amendment wins first round - 12
- Fetal homicide: A compromise at last? - 4
- Freedom & discovery: A mathematician gets noticed - 0
- Preventing Newtown: Background checks won’t - 29
- Taunting taxpayers: Manchester teachers union won’t budge - 35
- Insurance choices: Shaheen, Shea-Porter, Kuster mislead - 19
- Looking for Abigail: Public can help find her - 3
- Riding lessons: DRED improves horse rules - 5
- Pray for safety: The state did not provide it - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Snow could reschedule Super Bowl - 2
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 3
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child