Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Celtics go to double OT to edge Mavs, 117-115
BOSTON -- Paul Pierce scored eight of his season-high 34 points in the second overtime and Rajon Rondo fell one rebound shy of a triple double as host Boston snapped a four-game losing skid to Dallas with a thrilling 117-115 double-overtime win on Wednesday.
Rondo finished with 16 points and 15 assists to go along with a career-high 53 minutes for the Celtics, who have won four consecutive home games.
O.J. Mayo scored 18 of his 24 points after halftime to lead seven players in double digits for the Mavericks, who saw their three-game winning streak come to an end.
Boston had the final possessions in both regulation and the first overtime, but Rondo and Pierce saw their respective last-second shots fall short.
Pierce made amends by drilling a 3-pointer on the Celtics' first possession of the second overtime. The veteran calmly sank five free throws in the session to seal the win.
- - - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: Celtics G Jason Terry played against his former team for the first time since signing a three-year deal in the offseason. Terry, who finished with 10 points, competed with the Mavericks for eight campaigns. ... Wednesday's game was just the second one to go into overtime between the teams. The first came on Dec. 30, 1983, when Hall of Famer Larry Bird scored 36 points in a 114-109 Boston win. ... Dallas F Shawn Marion returned following a two-game absence with a strained groin. He finished with 16 points and 11 rebounds.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hampstead Congregational Church hosts Hunger Action on May 19 - 0
- Chester church plans June Jubilee - 0
- Goffstown church plans yard sale - 0
- Cleric's case a puzzle, concern - 6
- NH minister celebrates 60 years of service - 0
- Religion briefs: Rindge church will hold yard sale - 0
- New pastoral assignments announced - 0
- UUC of Manchester picks McLaughlin - 0
- Orthodox Christians celebrate, reflect - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- House passes auto dealers bill of rights - 0
- Rochester man facing up to 30 years in prison for brutal assault - 0
- Man who confronts burglar in Nashua gets bit - 0
- Police say Nashua man struck woman with Jeep - 0
- Last-minute lobbying frantic as House prepares for casino vote - 2
- Pease chosen to receive new KC-46A refueling tanker; to bring 100 jobs - 5
- FBI agent kills Florida man during questioning about Marathon bombing suspect - 1
- Police seek man they say passed counterfeit bill at Manchester mall - 1
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
License revocations for DWI announced
UPDATED: Derry marks a soldier's death
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs