Home » News » Public Safety
Search called off for man with gun on I-93 in Londonderry
LONDONDERRY - The search for a suspected gunman on Interstate 93 was called off shortly before 10 a.m. Thursday morning after no gunman was found.
Police searched the area for several hours Thursday morning after motorists reported a man was “standing in the median strip with a gun in hand near Exit 4 on Interstate 93.”
Police said initial reports of the gunman came in during the morning commute hours. Londonderry and Derry police assisted in the search. A state police helicopter hovered over the highway earlier Thursday as the search extended to the Route 102 corridor, then onward toward Exit 3 in Windham after the suspect was reportedly spotted, police said.
Driving to his job in Salem Thursday morning, Concord resident George Simon spotted a man in a suit walking alongside Interstate 93.
“He was dressed to the hilt,” said Simon. “I was worried he was going to get hit.”
Then he noticed there was an Audi parked by the side of the road. Part of the vehicle's roof rack appeared to be missing. Simon said he believes the so-called “gunman” spotted during Thursday morning's commute was simply a case of mistaken identity as the unknown man attempted to retrieve a large piece of a roof rack that had fallen into the roadway.
However, state police were unable to confirm if that was, indeed, the case. “It could be one and the same, but I cannot say for sure,” State Police Lt. Nicole Armaganian said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police ready to make a wardrobe change - 0
- Man, 41, dies after his car hits utility pole by Nashua library - 0
- Derry fire displaces five - 0
- Two fall about 50 feet from Crotched Mountain ski lift - 1
- Three-alarm fire levels Loudon garage - 0
- Man, 41, dies when car hits pole in front of Nashua Library - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- AG reports progress in search for Hernandez; defends not releasing sensitive information - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072