Home » News » Public Safety
Search called off for man with gun on I-93 in Londonderry
LONDONDERRY - The search for a suspected gunman on Interstate 93 was called off shortly before 10 a.m. Thursday morning after no gunman was found.
Police searched the area for several hours Thursday morning after motorists reported a man was “standing in the median strip with a gun in hand near Exit 4 on Interstate 93.”
Police said initial reports of the gunman came in during the morning commute hours. Londonderry and Derry police assisted in the search. A state police helicopter hovered over the highway earlier Thursday as the search extended to the Route 102 corridor, then onward toward Exit 3 in Windham after the suspect was reportedly spotted, police said.
Driving to his job in Salem Thursday morning, Concord resident George Simon spotted a man in a suit walking alongside Interstate 93.
“He was dressed to the hilt,” said Simon. “I was worried he was going to get hit.”
Then he noticed there was an Audi parked by the side of the road. Part of the vehicle's roof rack appeared to be missing. Simon said he believes the so-called “gunman” spotted during Thursday morning's commute was simply a case of mistaken identity as the unknown man attempted to retrieve a large piece of a roof rack that had fallen into the roadway.
However, state police were unable to confirm if that was, indeed, the case. “It could be one and the same, but I cannot say for sure,” State Police Lt. Nicole Armaganian said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- With COPsync911 unveiling in Londonderry, NH paving the way for national school safety movement - 0
- Off-duty Winchester officer plays role saving Keene police officer - 0
- Rural towns struggle to find volunteer safety personnel - 0
- At Manchester police awards ceremony, mom wants answers, justice for son - 1
- Manchester police add four new officers - 1
- 7 hikers rescued from Pawtuckaway - 1
- Mass. climbers stuck on Cannon Mtn. - 0
- 12-hour effort needed to get Mass. hiker off Mt. Adams - 1
- Body found under Manchester bridge was local woman - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester officials searching for central preschool facility building - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: City man faces charges tied to burglary, stolen jewelry - 0
- After 12 years, Derry CFO steps down from position - 0
- Alleged conflict of interest among Timberlane board member's issues - 0
- Controversial nominee appointed to authority - 0
- Degree program offers savings to Manchester teachers - 0
- Laconia sex offender indicted again on seven charges - 0
- Rye woman faces felony witness tampering charge - 0
- Enfield man arrested for possessing child porn former director of day care center - 0
Back-to- school shopping slowest since ‘09
U.S. Marshals say son of murdered Manchester couple sighted in Fla.; $5,000 reward offered
S&P 500 down for third straight day
Report on Manchester schools cites falling test scores, higher dropout rates among ongoing challenges
Obama to make statement after airstrikes against Islamic State, White House official says