Home » News » Public Safety
Search called off for man with gun on I-93 in Londonderry
LONDONDERRY - The search for a suspected gunman on Interstate 93 was called off shortly before 10 a.m. Thursday morning after no gunman was found.
Police searched the area for several hours Thursday morning after motorists reported a man was “standing in the median strip with a gun in hand near Exit 4 on Interstate 93.”
Police said initial reports of the gunman came in during the morning commute hours. Londonderry and Derry police assisted in the search. A state police helicopter hovered over the highway earlier Thursday as the search extended to the Route 102 corridor, then onward toward Exit 3 in Windham after the suspect was reportedly spotted, police said.
Driving to his job in Salem Thursday morning, Concord resident George Simon spotted a man in a suit walking alongside Interstate 93.
“He was dressed to the hilt,” said Simon. “I was worried he was going to get hit.”
Then he noticed there was an Audi parked by the side of the road. Part of the vehicle's roof rack appeared to be missing. Simon said he believes the so-called “gunman” spotted during Thursday morning's commute was simply a case of mistaken identity as the unknown man attempted to retrieve a large piece of a roof rack that had fallen into the roadway.
However, state police were unable to confirm if that was, indeed, the case. “It could be one and the same, but I cannot say for sure,” State Police Lt. Nicole Armaganian said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 1
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
- Bay State man hurt in Ripley Falls fall - 0
- Veteran Arizona officer named Rindge police chief - 3
- NH gun license form must change, critics say - 10
- Rimmon Heights honors Manchester Community Policing Division - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Motor Speedway to again host two Sprint Cup Series weekends in 2015 - 0
- St. Anselm football players practice ini August heat - 0
- White, Glenn lift Fisher Cats over Harrisburg, 6-4 - 0
- KSC field hockey first in coaches poll - 0
- New England Patriots guard Mankins traded to Tampa for TE Wright - 0
- NH Fisher Cat Lee still striving for making it to the major leagues - 0
- Former city restaurateur gets jail sentence for sex assault - 0
- Former high school art teacher gets suspended sentence in drug case - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 0
Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner
Market Basket: 'So close, yet so far'
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate