Home » News » Public Safety
Two hospitalized in car crash in Canaan
CANAAN - Two men were seriously injured Thursday night when a car veered off Route 118, slammed into a telephone pole and rolled over several times.
The crash happened shortly after 10:30 p.m. just south of the Dorchester town line.
Police said Russell Christian, 40, of Canaan was driving north on Route 118 when he lost control of the car, hit a utility pole and rolled the vehicle several times. His passenger, Steven Cotting, 32, of Orange, was thrown from the car during the crash.
Christian suffered severe injuries. He was treated at the scene by members of the Canaan Fast Squad and Canaan Fire Department before being airlifted by DHART to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon.
Cotting also was treated at the scene and then transported by Canaan Fast Squad to the Lebanon hospital.
According to a news release, both excessive speed and alcohol were contributing factors in the crash. Neither Christian nor Cotting was wearing a seatbelt.
Anyone with information regarding the crash is urged to call police at 603-523-7400.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Concord police stun, arrest gun rights protester after officer touched on shoulder - 85
- Horsing around: Manchester students name police horse - 1
- UPDATE: Elderly man burned in North Hampton camper fire has died - 3
- UPDATE: Windham's Common Man to open for dinner rush despite fire - 2
- Enfield fire leaves one burned - 0
- Driver rescued after Franklin crash, 50-foot plunge - 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 1
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 1
- N.J. woman injured in Moultonborough motorcycle crash - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 21 in Concord wake to find their tires slashed - 0
- House proposes special session to decide Medicaid expansion - 1
- NH man to be tried in $13 million mortgage fraud scheme - 0
- UPDATE: Elderly Nashua couple were stabbed to death - 2
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 0
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 2
- Exeter High teachers' resignations announced at meeting - 0
- Rochester woman under arrest in underage party - 0
- LeBron, Heat edge Spurs in OT, force Game 7 - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time