Home » News » Public Safety
Motorist fetching ski rack was mistaken as gunman
LONDONDERRY - A motorist trying to retrieve a ski rack that fell off his car and landed in the Interstate 93 center median was mistakenly identified as a “gunman,” triggering a massive police response Thursday morning including officers from Londonderry, Derry and state police, as well as a hovering state police helicopter.
According to state police, a man called them later in the day Thursday to explain he believed they were searching for him.
The man, who state police did not identify in a news release, said his ski rack fell off his gray Volkswagen sedan just after 8 a.m. during the morning commute and landed in the center median near Exit 4 on I-93.
He parked his car in the right breakdown lane and crossed I-93 south to retrieve it. State police said they received other calls that were consistent with that explanation.
Police searched the area for about two hours but called off the search just before 10 a.m. when they could not find a gunman.
Concord resident George Simon, on his way to work that morning, told the New Hampshire Union Leader he saw a man in a suit walking alongside I-93.
“He was dressed to the hilt,” said Simon. “I was worried he was going to get hit.”
No character style: Then he noticed a car parked by the side of the road. Part of the vehicle’s roof rack appeared to be missing.
Turns out Simon was correct when he said Thursday that he believed the so-called “gunman” was simply a case of mistaken identity and just an unknown man trying to retrieve a large piece of a roof rack that had fallen onto the road.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Nashua man critical after being hit by box truck - 0
- Durham fire chief considered for similar post in Natick, Mass. - 0
- Wood-drying kiln heavily damaged by fire - 0
- FinnaRageTV uses Keene for promotion - 0
- After Keene riot, PSU campus on alert as party plan is spread by social media - 1
- 2-alarm Manchester fire displaces 10 - 0
- Missing Mason man found dead - 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Habib's City Sports: St. Thomas coach: I owe Central - 0
- Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison - 0
- 'Bingo hunting' police use random license plate checks to make arrest - 0
- Bedford police investigating burglary at Verizon Wireless store - 0
- Police: Manchester man charged with endangering child after going 101 mph - 0
- FairPoint customer concerned about blocked emails - 0
- Plaistow narrows field in search for its new police chief - 0
- Man faces robbery, assault charges after extradition from NY - 0
- Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs - 0
Hockey brought them together; Hooksett ice rink will serve as NH couple's 'church' for wedding
NH Audubon's Rare Bird Alert