Home » News » Public Safety
Motorist retrieving ski rack mistaken as gunman
LONDONDERRY - A motorist trying to retrieve a ski rack that fell off his car and landed in the Interstate 93 center median was mistakenly identified as a "gunman," triggering a massive police response Thursday morning including officers from Londonderry, Derry and state police, as well as a hovering state police helicopter.
According to state police, a man called them later in the day Thursday to explain he believed they were searching for him. The man, who state police did not identify in a news release, said his ski rack fell off his gray Volkswagen sedan just after 8 a.m. during the morning commute and landed in the center median near Exit 4 on I-93.
He parked his car in the right breakdown lane and crossed I-93 south to retrieve it. State police said they received other calls that were consistent with that explanation.
Police searched the area for about two hours but called off the search just before 10 a.m. after not being able to find a gunman.
Concord resident George Simon, on his way to work that morning, told the New Hampshire Union Leader he saw a man in a suit walking alongside I-93.
“He was dressed to the hilt,” said Simon. “I was worried he was going to get hit.”
Then he noticed a car parked by the side of the road. Part of the vehicle's roof rack appeared to be missing. Simon said Thursday he believes the so-called “gunman” was simply a case of mistaken identity as the unknown man attempted to retrieve a large piece of a roof rack that had fallen onto the road.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fire damages interior of home on Bypass 28 in Derry - 0
- He helps make the Londonderry police force stronger - 0
- Hampton Beach Fire makes new home official - 0
- Firefighters from 10 towns fight Loudon 3-alarm blaze - 0
- Mass. man rescued from Mt. Haystack in Franconia - 0
- Firefighters from 10 communities fight second 3-alarm fire in one day in Loudon - 0
- UPDATE: Lancaster man, 74, killed in head-on Columbia crash - 0
- UPDATE: Mother, daughter fell from Crotched Mountain ski lift - 1
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats have come a long way - 0
- Another weekend, another three games for Monarchs - 0
- Another View -- Mark S. MacKenzie: Raising minimum wage would lift NH families out of poverty - 0
- Pray for safety: The state did not provide it - 0
- Big league gambling: AG makes right call on casinos - 0
- Students add their special touch to Christmas - 0
- Chargers edge Manning, Broncos, 27-20 - 0
- Iginla strikes twice as red-hot Bruins top Oilers - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bow's balance too much for Kearsarge - 0
Symphony NH plans pair of holiday events
Hooksett man arrested on assault charges
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
Big tipper stops for lunch
Keene to appeal Robin Hood rulings
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072