Home » News » Public Safety
Motorist retrieving ski rack mistaken as gunman
LONDONDERRY - A motorist trying to retrieve a ski rack that fell off his car and landed in the Interstate 93 center median was mistakenly identified as a "gunman," triggering a massive police response Thursday morning including officers from Londonderry, Derry and state police, as well as a hovering state police helicopter.
According to state police, a man called them later in the day Thursday to explain he believed they were searching for him. The man, who state police did not identify in a news release, said his ski rack fell off his gray Volkswagen sedan just after 8 a.m. during the morning commute and landed in the center median near Exit 4 on I-93.
He parked his car in the right breakdown lane and crossed I-93 south to retrieve it. State police said they received other calls that were consistent with that explanation.
Police searched the area for about two hours but called off the search just before 10 a.m. after not being able to find a gunman.
Concord resident George Simon, on his way to work that morning, told the New Hampshire Union Leader he saw a man in a suit walking alongside I-93.
“He was dressed to the hilt,” said Simon. “I was worried he was going to get hit.”
Then he noticed a car parked by the side of the road. Part of the vehicle's roof rack appeared to be missing. Simon said Thursday he believes the so-called “gunman” was simply a case of mistaken identity as the unknown man attempted to retrieve a large piece of a roof rack that had fallen onto the road.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester police investigate two crashes involving two cruisers - 3
- Boy on scooter hits moving vehicle, taken to hospital - 0
- State police: Vermont man drove 111 mph on I-89 - 0
- Agency missteps leave motorists in dark on air-bag defects - 0
- Manchester fire victim was Army vet who had recently moved to city - 0
- Man who died in Manchester blaze identified as Vietnam War-era veteran; cigarette was fire cause - 0
- New Boston firefighters share safety tips with school - 0
- UPDATED: Driver killed in crash on Route 101A in Amherst is identified - 1
- Need a job? The NH State Prison wants you - 0
READER COMMENTS: 12
- Man who escaped Kingston police station remains at large - 0
- Man shot by Nashua officer to plead guilty to some charges, avoid trial - 0
- Lamontagne, accomplice in Bedford home invasion, sentenced to 6 to 22 years - 2
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Tournaments: Div. I looks wide open - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Browner, 'D' shaping up - 0
- Another View -- Marilinda Garcia: Rep. Ann Kuster has not been a help to NH senior citizens - 5
- Smith schools Hassan: Leadership in Londonderry - 0
- Where officers live: Manchester is missing the point - 1
- Manchester school health costs down, but plans called 'generous' - 0
Baby found in Gilmanton meth lab raid
The Obamaconomy: Shea-Porter shows its flaw
KSC student facing charges related to riot
Tea Party PAC endorses Scott Brown
2nd CD post-debate 'spin room': Garcia 'shocked' at how many times Kuster interrupted her
Another View -- Marilinda Garcia: Rep. Ann Kuster has not been a help to NH senior citizens
Lyndeborough's new Christmas tree destroyed
UNH Survey Center poll: Kuster leads Garcia