Home » Opinion » Editorials
Epping's library: Another year's delay
Given the town's financial needs, the long wait for a new Epping library might well be stretched out for another year whether library trustees like it or not. The best option would seem to be putting off the town vote for another year, when the budget picture is clearer and the ballot less crowded.
Library trustees understandably want a bigger, new building. They've put a lot of effort into coming up with a plan to obtain one and build a new park to boot. But the town has a need for more water, selectmen say, and they want to buy land to provide it. The school budget is likely on the rise, and the town is without a home for its recreation department thanks to the earthquake this fall.
Though the library plan sounds lovely, voters are likely to see the other needs as more pressing. Selectmen say approving all the requests this spring would lead to a $2 tax rate increase. Do library trustees really think the voters will go for that?
It would make more sense to postpone the library vote and spend the next year in a fundraising campaign to offset as much of the $2.3 million cost as possible. Coming to the voters next year with money in the bank and a lower amount to borrow is a better plan than asking for a $2 tax rate hike this spring.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View - Betsy McCaughey: The Obamacare horror stories are not lies - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Freedom is not free; you've got to fight for it - 0
- Michael C. Whitney: A small gas tax hike would be good for business - 5
- Jonah Goldberg: In the case of My Brother's Keeper, race does, and should, matter - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The NH Senate's Medicaid trap - 0
- Rep. William Butynski: A casino gambling plan that works for NH - 3
- George Will: Misreading Putin, and history - 4
- Rep. Kenneth Fredette: NH should avoid Maine’s Medicaid mistake - 5
- David Harsanyi: Social conservatives would benefit by embracing libertarianism - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 0
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 0
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 0
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth, PSU hit road for tourneys - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: North beats Memorial, advances in hockey tourney - 0
Fremont's Miss 1964 to pass on her crown
John Stossel: Budget baloney
Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again
House says no to bill to reduce NH meals tax
Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council