Monarchs drop one to Pirates
The Portland Pirates scored a pair of third-period goals to pull away from the Manchester Monarchs and post a 4-2 win in an AHL game played at the Androscoggin Colisee in Lewiston, Maine, Friday night.
The loss dropped Manchester to 11-11-3 and pushed the surging Pirates to 13-10-2 and first place in the Atlantic Division.
The Monarchs got on the bus and headed straight to Glens Falls, N.Y., to play Adirondack tonight at 7.
Manchester closes the weekend by hosting Springfield Sunday at 3 p.m. at Verizon Wireless Arena.
Portland's Oliver Ekman-Larsson beat goalie Martin Jones at 3:45 of the third period to break a 2-2 deadlock.
Chris Brown scored an empty-net goal with three seconds remaining on the clock to put the game away.
The Monarchs have now lost four of their last five games to drop into fourth place in the Atlantic after briefly holding the top slot just two weeks ago.
The Pirates broke a 1-1 tie with a goal at 3:46 of the second period. Brett Hextall, son of Monarchs general manager Ron, scored the goal to give Portland a 2-1 lead with a rebound goal from the slot.
Manchester rookie Tanner Pearson tied the game at 2-2 at 18:47 of the second, making a good individual play to step around a check and move in for a shot from the left wing that beat Chad Johnson.
The Monarchs took a 1-0 lead just 1:19 into the game on a goal from Dwight King. Brandon Kozun blocked a shot in the Manchester zone and raced the other way on a breakway. Johnson made the save, but King swooped in to bang home the rebound.
Portland tied the game at 8:12 of the first on a goal from defenseman David Rundblad. Chris Summers found Rundblad alone in front for the score.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- No. 1 UConn women rout No. 2 Duke - 0
- Patriots’ Wilfork maintains he’ll be back - 0
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 1
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 2
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 1
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840