Home » Opinion » Editorials
Ayotte holds her ground : Rookie tosses Rice at Obama
Credit U.S. Sen. Kelly Ayotte with holding her ground on the deplorable and ill-considered Obama administration plan to name Susan Rice our Secretary of State. Coming from the state whose native son, Daniel Webster, once served with distinction in that post, Ayotte may have a particular appreciation for the importance of the post.
Ayotte, along with fellow Republicans John McCain and Lindsey Graham, took the lead in challenging the now-scuttled Rice plan, hatched by President Obama as a payoff for one of his Chicago political cronies.
McCain and Graham are longtime Senate and political pros, who have built up the tough skins and political street credibility needed when mounting such a challenge. Ayotte, by contrast, is a rookie in the ways of Washington.
Those who don't know her would not have been surprised had she wilted and wavered under the political and liberal media fire that was directed her way for opposing a newly reelected President.
But Sen. Ayotte is guided by facts and common sense. Ambassador Rice was clearly dissembling on the subject of what she knew and when she knew it on the Benghazi attack that left an American ambassador dead. To ignore that fact and put Rice in such an important post would have been exactly the wrong thing to do.
Ayotte is a rookie, but she has the markings of being a Rookie of the Year for Republicans, which is no doubt why her political foes here are already trying to gin up bad reviews for her every move.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rep. Terie Norelli: New Hampshire workers deserve higher minimum wages - 0
- Les Bernal: Why don’t casino advocates and executives patronize casinos? - 0
- David Harsanyi: Do most Americans agree with Demsocrats? - 3
- Sam Cohen: ‘No compromise’ gun groups shoot themselves in the foot - 7
- Kathy Sullivan: Scott Brown’s prospects for a U.S. Senate win are poor - 17
- Deroy Murdock: A 'reset' with Russia that would get Putin's attention - 0
- Helen DePrima: How Obamacare worsened my health insurance - 20
- Jonah Goldberg: On Russia, Obama is stuck in the past - 3
- Ray Wieczorek: Joe Kenney is the man for the job - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Memorial heroic in NHIAA Div. I basketball semifinal defeat - 0
- Excess school money may target crowded classes in Manchester - 0
- Nashua board members apologize for signingCommon Core letter - 0
- Sen. Shaheen participates in all-night climate change ‘talkathon’ - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs' Derek Forbort in the right place at the right time - 0
- Educators, advocates speak to new standards for use of force - 0
- Two Manchester health clinics working on merger plan - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: City woman connected to fatal crash in court again - 0
- Franklin’s newest police recruit, a German shepherd pup, can smell trouble - 0
Allenstown rejects town and school budgets
Crowley elected in Northfield
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'