Home » News » Public Safety
Snow, sleet and rain make for slippery, slow commute
MANCHESTER - It is a messy, slow drive for New Hampshire motorists across the state today as a wintry mix of rain, snow and sleet covers the state.
Laura McCarthy, operations supervisor for the state's Traffic Management Center in Concord, said about 7 a.m. Monday that motorists should reduce speeds to 45 mph on all state highways. About 7 a.m., she said traffic was moving, although there were some fender-benders but no major tie-ups.
"People are taking it slow and that's a good thing," she said.
In the city, emergency crews were on the scene of a crash at 584 River Road where a vehicle hit a utility pole, splitting it in two.
More than 300 schools delayed opening by 90 minutes to two hours, or canceled classes, according to WMUR-TV.
A winter advisory is in effect for southern New Hampshire, where the National Weather Service forecast freezing rain and sleet changing to all freezing rain after 9 a.m. It is expected to turn to rain Monday night.
The Lakes and Upper Valley can expect about 2-4 inches of snow, while up to 7 inches is expected to fall in the White Mountain National Forest.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Driving lesson turns into car accident in Laconia - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Berlin building - 0
- NY man stable after destroying classic Porsche 911 in Route 16 wreck - 3
- Investigators seek cause of Conn. train crash - 0
- Berlin man dies while kayaking - 0
- Man seriously hurt in North Country crash of 1967 Porsche - 0
- Teen hurt in Amherst boating crash - 0
- Ceremony for fallen police officers honors service and sacrifice - 2
- Amtrak suspends New York-Boston service after two trains collide in Conn.; up to 60 hurt - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Wanted fugitive arrested by U.S. Marshals in Manchester - 0
- Gregg named CEO of Wall Street lobbying group - 1
- Portsmouth woman faces up to life in prison in fatal overdose - 0
- Mass. sex offender indicted for sex assault on child at Plaistow Walmart - 0
- Home care worker indicted for kidnapping, sexual assault of male client - 0
- Police say house guest helped himself to credit card - 0
- Police say women were smoking crack with 2-year-old in car - 0
- Tools, copper piping stolen from construction trailers in Manchester - 0
- Firefighters say casino revenue needed for 'public safety' - 8
Town may have to fix grave error
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
Chechen decries Boston attack