Londonderry firefighters deliver baby in ambulance
LONDONDERRY - Londonderry Fire Lt. David Johnson has been on a lot of ambulance rides in his career, but he won't likely forget his drive to Catholic Medical Center late Monday afternoon.
At 4:42 p.m., when Londonderry emergency responders arrived at the Hollerans' home on Anthony Drive, expectant mother Megan Holleran's water had already broken. Holleran had reportedly made it to the family car that was parked in the home's garage, but her husband called 911 when it became clear the young mother was well into labor.
Everyone piled into the ambulance, with Johnson behind the wheel and paramedics John Camire and Kevin Barnett and firefighter James "Bo" Butler with the mother and the baby's father, Ryan Holleran, speeding off to the Manchester hospital.
"We were on the scene within five minutes," Butler said. But try as they did, they couldn't get to Manchester quite fast enough. Little Mac Holleran came into the world at 5 p.m. sharp, inside the speeding ambulance.
"I don't know if they could have picked a hospital further away," Camire said with a laugh. "But everything worked out well: He had 10 fingers and 10 toes."
Born on his grandparents' 35th wedding anniversary, Baby Mac weighed 6 pounds and 14 ounces. Despite the unusual circumstances, the emergency responders agreed both parents were amazingly calm.
"She was a champ. Through it all she kept cracking jokes with us," Butler said. "It was one of the most perfect calls we could go on," Johnson added. "Things couldn't have gone any better."
While some of the men have delivered babies at various times over the years, Monday's arrival was definitely a first. "We've never had one in an ambulance before," Camire said.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- John Stossel: Who has true grit anymore? - 0
- Another View: New Hampshire would take a risky bet on casinos - 6
- Ramesh Ponnuru: In flextime fight, liberals play to their stereotype - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Benghazi's smoking guns - 1
- Another View: Nashua does need to conduct its own review of commuter rail - 1
- George Will: Forgetting the lessons of Watergate - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Screeching lies does not count as debate - 2
- Another View: Sen. Ayotte is doing the right thing on gun violence - 22
- Pat Buchanan: Requiem for the Grand Old Party - 6
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win - 0
- College Baseball: Ravens outlast Penmen in 13 to survive another day - 0
- Three Fisher Cat hurlers combine to pitch shutout - 0
- Lakes Region, Great Bay CC hold commencement ceremonies - 0
- UNH Law School grads told to 'serve justice' - 0
- Berlin man dies while kayaking - 0
- Man seriously hurt in North Country crash of 1967 Porsche - 0
- Stonyfield founder tells FPU grads to ask, 'Why not?' - 0
- NH troopers help Boston victims - 0
Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win
UNH Law School grads told to 'serve justice'
Lebanon College graduates 19
- Should adultery remain a crime under U.S. military law?
- Total Votes: 641