Home » Opinion » Editorials
A Brennan blunder: Bad offer for top administrators
Manchester Board of School Committee member Art Beaudry had a good point last Monday when he criticized school Superintendent Tom Brennan for offering 2.5 percent cost-of-living raises to three of the district's top administrators.
The board voted to renew the contracts of Business Administrator Karen DeFrancis and Assistant Superintendents Karen Burkush and Michael Tursi. Before the renewal, Brennan proposed including the raises in their contracts. Brennan said it would be OK because the administrators would not accept the raises. Beaudry's counter-point was dead on.
Noting that the board must negotiate school union contracts next year, Beaudry said, "The union guys sitting up in the balcony listening now can say, 'You offered your administrators 2.5 percent, why not us?' It's just a poor way of negotiating."
It was foolish to offer raises to these well-paid administrators when everyone knows the district will have to seek reduced compensation for union members next year. The administration has made getting those necessary union concessions more difficult.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Northern Pass vs. the unregulated - 3
- Former PNE power customers promised payment - 1
- Legislation gives Northern Pass project a pass, foes insist - 11
- DOE hears from NH Sens. Shaheen, Ayotte on Northern Pass project - 4
- NH Chambers of Commerce opinions on Northern Pass split geographically - 0
- Northern Pass told in White Mountains: Get off our land - 34
- Wind farms inspire email blast to NH lawmakers - 7
- Natural gas supplier: We'll still take on PSNH - 7
- Manchester-based power supplier unplugged - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 20, 2013 - 0
- Police say man held girlfriend in car, arrest him - 0
- Overtime puts stress on Nashua police budget - 0
- Manchester, church group seek accord on breakfast for homeless - 1
- Ky. Sen. Rand Paul to NH GOP: Let's look like America - 2
- Man gunned down on Manchester street was talented graffiti artist - 0
- Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs - 0
- Two had a NH history before brutal Bedford attack - 0
- Derry marks a soldier's death - 0
Memorial Day Observances 2013
Texting + driving = deadly consequences
Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone
Goffstown holds off on school borrowing
For the people: A century of the NH primary
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
Not so merry: Giving Robin Hood a bad name