Claremont Middle School teacher on leave following alleged assaultBy MEGHAN PIERCE
Union Leader Correspondent
December 19. 2012 9:33PM
CLAREMONT - A Claremont Middle School teacher has been placed on paid leave while school officials investigate the alleged assault of a student.
Though the matter has been reported to police, Chief Alexander Scott said Wednesday, police are waiting for school officials to complete their review of the situation before opening a criminal investigation.
In an email Wednesday, SAU 6 Superintendent Middleton K. McGoodwin said he was notified on Monday that "an incident involving the alleged misconduct of a Claremont Middle School staff member occurred. Preliminary reports indicate principal Paulette Fitzgerald and interim assistant principal Joan Nagle addressed the matter immediately.
"However, as a result of the allegations, I placed a teacher on paid administrative leave pending an investigation by me. I am currently collecting information and statements as part of this investigation. Though I strive to be transparent and forthcoming with the community involving all aspect of the school district, it would be inappropriate for me to disclose names or details involving any personnel matter under investigation," McGoodwin wrote.
Police went to the middle school at 107 South Street at 3:15 p.m. on Monday in response to a call from a parent in reference to an event that had taken place at the school earlier that day, Scott said.
"The incident has been reported to us. After the administrative review by the school we will review to determine if our involvement is necessary or not. I will not be releasing any additional information beyond that at this point," Scott wrote in an email Wednesday.