All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Public Safety

Fire kills pets, destroys home in Farmington

Union Leader Correspondent

December 19. 2012 5:01PM
Deputy Farmington Fire Chief Steve Johnson and Fire Chief Richard Fowler coordinate efforts as area firefighters search for hot spots after a first-alarm fire destroyed a mobile home at 43 Hancock St. in Farmington Wednesday morning. John Quinn/Union Leader Correspondent 

FARMINGTON - A first-alarm fire left a Hancock Street couple out in the cold and killed their pets Wednesday morning.

Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded at 10:54 a.m. to 43 Hancock St., a dead-end road off Tappan Street, after a neighbor reported spotted fire coming from the mobile home.

Fire Chief Richard Fowler said firefighters were quick to arrive at the scene, but a burst of flame prevented crews from entering too far into the home. He added a first alarm was sounded to bring additional personnel as a precaution.

Local crews were assisted by paramedics from Frisbie Memorial Hospital in Rochester and firefighters from Alton, Middleton, Milton, New Durham and Rochester. Wakefield firefighters provided station coverage.

Firefighters closed Tappan Street to protect their water supply at a hydrant at the corner of Maple Street. Within 45 minutes, the fire was well under control, Fowler said.

"All the heavy fire's been knocked down. We're just chasing some hot spots," Fowler said, adding firefighters used a thermal-imaging camera to ensure the fire was out.

While the two residents were not home, Fowler said firefighters found an unspecified number of cats and dogs inside. He added it appears the animals perished due to smoke inhalation.

"It's a total loss," Fowler said.

Fowler said he was unsure where the couple would stay, but firefighters called members of the American Red Cross and Victim's Inc., who later responded to the scene.

Fowler said it's unclear what caused the fire, which is under investigation. Members by the N.H. State Fire Marshall's office later responded to the scene, which was cordoned off by yellow tape.

Public Safety Farmington

More Headlines