Home » News » Public Safety
Teen dies in accidental shooting in Manchester
MANCHESTER - A 19-year-old man died Sunday night after accidentally shooting himself in the head, police said.
Ismael ("Izzy") Chavira, last known address of 8 Iroquois Road, Nashua, died just after midnight Sunday in a 642 Union St. apartment.
Lt. Maureen Tessier said a small group of friends was in the apartment rented to Carlos Petreault when the shooting occurred. Detectives determined Chavira had the gun most of the night.
"He (Chavira) was in possession of the firearm and was fooling around with it putting it to his head and it discharged," Tessier said.
Investigators, she said, determined Chavira's death was accidental.
However, police did not recover the gun, which is still missing. Detectives are investigating what happened to it.
"We're trying to understand what happened afterwards and why they did what they did," Tessier said.
She said the public should not be alarmed because investigators are certain the shooting was accidental. "But perhaps the individuals (at the apartment) made some poor choices subsequent to the shooting," she said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 0
- Heroin overdoses claim two in Laconia - 0
- Concrete chunk falls onto sidewalk from Elm Street building in Manchester - 0
- Traffic, parking complaints related to Hollis farm stand - 0
- Crews still working on replacing poles after accident - 0
- Woman, 56, struck by car in Laconia accident - 0
- Manchester police investigate two crashes involving two cruisers - 3
- Boy on scooter hits moving vehicle, taken to hospital - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Commodore Nutt takes D.C. by storm - 1
- School's out for voters - 0
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 10
- Senate battle attracts 17,000 TV ads in NH - 2
- Jonathan E. Benedict - 1
- Drew Cline: GOP missed opportunities could mean trouble on Tuesday - 2
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Demaryius Thomas is x-factor for Broncos' offense - 1
- College Football: Big Green ready for tussle with Harvard - 0
- UNH Notebook: Albany is much improved - 0
Trump fired up over NH mailer