Home » News » Public Safety
Teen dies in accidental shooting in Manchester
MANCHESTER - A 19-year-old man died Sunday night after accidentally shooting himself in the head, police said.
Ismael ("Izzy") Chavira, last known address of 8 Iroquois Road, Nashua, died just after midnight Sunday in a 642 Union St. apartment.
Lt. Maureen Tessier said a small group of friends was in the apartment rented to Carlos Petreault when the shooting occurred. Detectives determined Chavira had the gun most of the night.
"He (Chavira) was in possession of the firearm and was fooling around with it putting it to his head and it discharged," Tessier said.
Investigators, she said, determined Chavira's death was accidental.
However, police did not recover the gun, which is still missing. Detectives are investigating what happened to it.
"We're trying to understand what happened afterwards and why they did what they did," Tessier said.
She said the public should not be alarmed because investigators are certain the shooting was accidental. "But perhaps the individuals (at the apartment) made some poor choices subsequent to the shooting," she said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- City police schedule community meeting - 1
- Missing Massachusetts woman returns home - 0
- Nashua man's condition upgraded after Hudson bicycle-car collision - 0
- Missing autistic Maine teen found in Jefferson woods - 0
- Nashua bicyclist hurt in collision with car - 0
- Three injured in Route 16 accident in Ossipee - 0
- State fire marshal urges eventual ban on all fireworks - 23
- Manchester welcomes 14 new police recruits - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester woman suffers injuries in dragging incident - 0
- Judge orders fired Manchester officer back to jail to finish sentence - 5
- Claremont police dispatcher charged with sex assault and incest, placed on leave - 0
- Speeding stop leads to drug and alcohol charges in Hollis - 0
- Allen Lessels on Motor Sports: Youngsters eye NHMS - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 2
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 1
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Mount Washington College to close 2 campuses
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?
Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release