Home » News » Public Safety
Teen dies in accidental shooting in Manchester
MANCHESTER - A 19-year-old man died Sunday night after accidentally shooting himself in the head, police said.
Ismael ("Izzy") Chavira, last known address of 8 Iroquois Road, Nashua, died just after midnight Sunday in a 642 Union St. apartment.
Lt. Maureen Tessier said a small group of friends was in the apartment rented to Carlos Petreault when the shooting occurred. Detectives determined Chavira had the gun most of the night.
"He (Chavira) was in possession of the firearm and was fooling around with it putting it to his head and it discharged," Tessier said.
Investigators, she said, determined Chavira's death was accidental.
However, police did not recover the gun, which is still missing. Detectives are investigating what happened to it.
"We're trying to understand what happened afterwards and why they did what they did," Tessier said.
She said the public should not be alarmed because investigators are certain the shooting was accidental. "But perhaps the individuals (at the apartment) made some poor choices subsequent to the shooting," she said.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Concord police stun, arrest gun rights protester after officer touched on shoulder - 101
- Horsing around: Manchester students name police horse - 1
- UPDATE: Elderly man burned in North Hampton camper fire has died - 3
- UPDATE: Windham's Common Man to open for dinner rush despite fire - 2
- Enfield fire leaves one burned - 0
- Driver rescued after Franklin crash, 50-foot plunge - 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 1
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 1
- N.J. woman injured in Moultonborough motorcycle crash - 1
READER COMMENTS: 1
- UPDATE: Salem student receives minor injuries in bus crash - 0
- 21 in Concord wake to find their tires slashed - 0
- House proposes special session to decide Medicaid expansion - 2
- NH man to be tried in $13 million mortgage fraud scheme - 0
- UPDATE: Elderly Nashua couple were stabbed to death - 3
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 0
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 2
- Exeter High teachers' resignations announced at meeting - 0
- Rochester woman under arrest in underage party - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?