Home » News » Public Safety
Teen dies in accidental shooting in Manchester
MANCHESTER - A 19-year-old man died Sunday night after accidentally shooting himself in the head, police said.
Ismael ("Izzy") Chavira, last known address of 8 Iroquois Road, Nashua, died just after midnight Sunday in a 642 Union St. apartment.
Lt. Maureen Tessier said a small group of friends was in the apartment rented to Carlos Petreault when the shooting occurred. Detectives determined Chavira had the gun most of the night.
"He (Chavira) was in possession of the firearm and was fooling around with it putting it to his head and it discharged," Tessier said.
Investigators, she said, determined Chavira's death was accidental.
However, police did not recover the gun, which is still missing. Detectives are investigating what happened to it.
"We're trying to understand what happened afterwards and why they did what they did," Tessier said.
She said the public should not be alarmed because investigators are certain the shooting was accidental. "But perhaps the individuals (at the apartment) made some poor choices subsequent to the shooting," she said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Teen driver dies after being pulled from icy waters in Londonderry - 8
- Trio escapes Claremont fire after smoke wakes resident - 0
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries in Little Cohas Brook crash - 0
- Tractor-trailer pulls down poles, wires, closing part of Route 28 in Epsom - 0
- Commission honors seven for contributions to state firefighter training - 0
- Lost hikers found safe in Gilsum - 1
- Woman thrown from horse, injured - 0
- Stove ash blamed for Manchester garage fire - 0
- Derry Battalion Chief calls firefighter son a 'hero' for rescuing two boys from Hood Pond - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Franklin man and woman arraigned for attempted prostitution of minor - 0
- Rymes is ready to roll following Fred Fuller purchase - 0
- Police investigating death of 3-year-old girl in Nashua - 7
- Police say hit-and-run driver was observed tossing beer cans from car - 1
- City championship on the line Thanksgiving Day - 1
- Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket - 6
- On being American: A point for reflection - 2
- Charles Arlinghaus: 'Tis the season for budget games and gimmicks - 0
- Rymes takes over for Fuller, deliveries start Wednesday - 1
Manchester school exec contract squeaks by
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
On being American: A point for reflection