Tobacco sales to NH youth increased 60 percent over 2011
CONCORD - Tobacco sales to youth in New Hampshire increased over the past year from 7.8 percent to 13.2 percent, nearly a 60 percent jump, according to a recent state compliance check of 291 retailers across the state.
"While the results of the checks were well under the federal Synar requirement of 20 percent, this does raise concerns," said Joe Harding, director of the Bureau of Drug and Alcohol Services (BDAS). "Research shows that lower tobacco use by youth also decreases the chance that they will use drugs or alcohol."
The compliance checks involve sending an underage buyer into a store to see if the clerk will sell tobacco products to him or her.
According to data from the New Hampshire Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS), there is a dramatic increase in the use of alcohol and other substances in youth who smoke.
A 2007 YRBS survey of 22,000 students revealed that for every 28 students who smoke, 27 also drank alcohol, according to the news release issued by the state Department of Health and Human Services.
BDAS works with the New Hampshire Division of Liquor Enforcement in conducting the tobacco compliance checks.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester makes move to outsource student driver education program - 3
- Nashua education board chair concerned about test scores - 0
- Dartmouth scholar to co-lead Arctic initiative - 0
- Manchester school health costs down, but plans called 'generous' - 0
- Manchester school board reaffirms 'get tough' policy for student assaults - 3
- Pinkerton Academy to issue refunds to sending towns - 0
- New Boston firefighters share safety tips with elementary school students - 0
- Public hearing on proposed school bonds - 1
- Crotched Mtn. school suit alleges abuse - 3
READER COMMENTS: 1
- School's out for voters - 0
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 5
- Brown, Shaheen run hardest where support is deepest - 0
- Jonathan E. Benedict - 0
- Drew Cline: GOP missed opportunities could mean trouble on Tuesday - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Demaryius Thomas is x-factor for Broncos' offense - 0
- College Football: Big Green ready for tussle with Harvard - 0
- UNH Notebook: Albany is much improved - 0
- MVP Bumgarner rides to the rescue for Giants' third World Series win in five years - 0
Trump fired up over NH mailer