Check your tickets: Million-dollar lottery winners picked in NH last night
CONCORD - Christmas is going to be a whole lot nicer for three lucky individuals who bought Megabucks and Powerball tickets this week.
Last night, the $2.15 million Tri-State Megabucks winning ticket was sold at the Circle K store on West Main Street in Hillsborough, while a $1 million winning Powerball ticket was bought at the Gilmanton Corner Store on Province Road in Gilmanton, according to N.H. Lottery spokesman Maura McCann.
Additionally, another $10,000 winning Powerball ticket was purchased at Market Basket on South Broadway in Salem.
"It's just even more wonderful right before the holidays to be able to award these prizes and make someone's holiday quite significantly brighter," she said.
The Tri-State Megabucks winning number, drawn Wednesday night, was 12-15-18-33-35 with Megaball 2. The winner can opt to take annual payments or a lump-sum payment.
McCann said 90 percent of winners take the cash option, which for Wednesday's Tri-State Megabucks winner would be $1.3 million before taxes, and $998,179 after taxes. The federal government requires lotteries to collect 25 percent in taxes on winnings of $5,000 or more, she explained.
The Powerball number drawn was 5-8-20-23-30 with Powerball 3. McCann said the person who won $1 million had all the numbers except the Powerball and will receive a cash prize, after taxes, of $750,000.The person who won $10,000 had the Powerball number and four of the other five numbers.
Someone in Kansas won the Powerball jackpot, so Saturday's jackpot amount will be reset to $40 million.
Kevin Farquharson, manager of the Gilmanton store, said they put up signs telling customers to check their tickets. He told his friends about it so they could check their tickets, too.
"It's very exciting because you're expecting someone you know to come through the door who won it so you can be happy for them, especially this time of year," he said. "What a good Christmas gift."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Schedule for today's Queen City Invitational Basketball, Bauer Christmas Hockey tournaments - 0
- Nashua bomb squad deployed, people evacuated after fireworks explosion - 0
- Driver trapped by live wires after early morning crash in Bow - 0
- NHIAA Basketball: Central rally stuns Memorial - 1
- NHIAA Hockey: Memorial needs shootout to get by Bow - 0
- Man arrested after chase that led from Pelham to Lowell, Mass. - 0
- No shortage of post-holiday shoppers at local stores - 0
- West junior advising College Board on its entrance exams - 0
- Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive - 2
Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive
'Interview' buzz spreads to NH
Murder suspect fit for trial?
Pipeline push gets a second wind