Dec 4, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Dover couple accused of abusing 2-year-old child
DOVER - A Portland Avenue couple faces serious charges for allegedly taping a toddler to a wall, slapping her and withholding meals from her "for extended periods of time" during a two-week period last month.
The mother of the 2-year-old girl, Cheryll Smith, 22, of 149 Portland Ave. Apt. 11, was charged Dec. 6 with simple assault for allegedly striking the girl and two counts of endangering the welfare of a child, according to court records.
Steven Smith, 24, who is not the child's father but lives with them, was also charged Dec. 6 with second-degree assault for allegedly slapping the girl and leaving bruises on her face, false imprisonment for allegedly taping the girl's hands to the wall and two counts of endangering the welfare of a child, according to court records.
Lt. Brant Dolleman said both Cheryll Smith and Steven Smith no longer have contact with the child as part of the bail conditions.
After warrants were issued, Cheryll Smith and Steven Smith turned themselves in to police. Both were released on $10,000 personal recognizance, according to Dolleman.
On Dec. 14, Cheryll Smith pleaded innocent to all charges during her arraignment while Steven Smith is scheduled to be arraigned this morning at 8:30 in Dover District Court.
According to an affidavit filed by Detective Mark Nadeau on Dec. 6, police began investigating the incidents after noticing the child's forehead was "swollen and bruised" when Officer James Yerardi responded to a domestic disturbance between Cheryll Smith and Steven Smith on Nov. 26.
Cheryll Smith told police Steven Smith "had caused the bruising during numerous physical altercations." Both Cheryll Smith and Steven Smith allegedly withheld food from the girl "on numerous occasions."
He also provided police with his memory card which contained two videos which he recorded "in case something like this happened," according to the affidavit.
The videos showed the girl "crying and banging her head against the wall." During further interviews, Cheryll Smith allegedly admitted that she smacked the girl on the face when she "lost control and was upset at her" and that she placed her hand over the girl's mouth for five seconds when her daughter was screaming, according to the affidavit.
- - - - - - - -
John Quinn may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Man charged in Manchester stabbing - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Prosecutor says man has convictions dating back to 2006 - 0
- Hudson man accused in $5k theft, forgery case - 0
- Former Atkinson official facing false complaint charges - 0
- Londonderry woman shot during Maine home invasion - 0
- Ex-Sandown officer's lawsuit challenging Laurie list designation headed to trial - 2
- Alleged parental kidnapper arraigned, ordered held on $250,000 cash bail - 0
- Three more arrested in connection to Keene riots - 0
- Former court security officer pleads guilty to sexual assault - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Granite Staters are front and center for UNH - 0
- Monarchs hope to wrap two wins - 0
- College Football: These Redbirds can run and pass - 0
- Bedford pizza restaurant gets surprise makeover from Eastern Bank - 0
- Another View -- Devon Chaffee: Why interrogators believe America should never torture - 0
- Obama gets smoked: Castros celebrate in Havana - 8
- On naming the victim: It is Kibby's story now - 0
- College Basketball: UNH women top Dartmouth - 0
- NHIAA Hockey: Exeter skates past Trinity - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Tom Chapin
BANANAS and NH's energy needs
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors
Win tickets to see Linkin Park
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Power Plays: BANANAS and NH's energy needs
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483