Home » News » Public Safety
Smoking materials blamed in Pittsfield fire
PITTSFIELD -- A man was transported to Concord Hospital after being burned in a second floor-bedroom Friday morning, according to Fire Chief John DeSilva.
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded to 121 Fairview Ave. at 10:59 a.m. after a resident stopped by the station and Concord dispatchers received several calls, DeSilva said.
Because the two-story home was less than a mile from the station, firefighters responded quickly and got the fire under control by 11:23 a.m. DeSilva said the fire was contained to one bedroom.
Local crews were assisted by Pittsfield police and firefighters from Barnstead, Epsom and Gilmanton.
“At this point, everything is pointing to the careless disposal of smoking materials,” DeSilva said.
DeSilva said the man's identity and condition were not available at this time.
He estimated the fire caused $25,000 in damage the bedroom, in addition to some smoke and water damage in the remainder of the home, which is still livable aside from the one room.
READER COMMENTS: 25
- Extreme skier's handgun found, returned to him - 8
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
- Barrington home destroyed in two-alarm blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- On Baseball: Locke pitches game in minor league rehab - 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
- Another View - Ahad Fazelat: How Medicare reimbursement numbers are misleading - 0
- 'He is risen': 'As he said' - 0
- A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data - 0
- City budget talk: How about solutions instead? - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Defense has let Sox down so far - 0
- General says NH Guard sites foster '2nd-class' image - 0
- Good Friday message resonates inside walls of prison - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire