Home » News » Public Safety
Smoking materials blamed in Pittsfield fire
PITTSFIELD -- A man was transported to Concord Hospital after being burned in a second floor-bedroom Friday morning, according to Fire Chief John DeSilva.
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded to 121 Fairview Ave. at 10:59 a.m. after a resident stopped by the station and Concord dispatchers received several calls, DeSilva said.
Because the two-story home was less than a mile from the station, firefighters responded quickly and got the fire under control by 11:23 a.m. DeSilva said the fire was contained to one bedroom.
Local crews were assisted by Pittsfield police and firefighters from Barnstead, Epsom and Gilmanton.
“At this point, everything is pointing to the careless disposal of smoking materials,” DeSilva said.
DeSilva said the man's identity and condition were not available at this time.
He estimated the fire caused $25,000 in damage the bedroom, in addition to some smoke and water damage in the remainder of the home, which is still livable aside from the one room.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry teen credited with saving home from kitchen fire - 1
- Nashua YMCA lifeguard: ‘My training just kicked in and instincts took over’ - 0
- Milford police officers want to meet you for coffee - 1
- Nashua parents: Clean up the sidewalks for students' safety - 0
- Manchester police car in collision at Union and Hayward streets - 0
- Northwood fire prompts firefighters to urge residents to clean chimneys - 0
- Rochester pedestrian, 18, struck, suffers minor injuries - 0
- Haverhill man receives call every homeowner dreads - 0
- Three firefighters recovering after injuries in fast-moving Claremont house fire - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 0
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 0
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 0
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
- John Stossel: Budget baloney - 0
- Another View - Betsy McCaughey: The Obamacare horror stories are not lies - 0
John Stossel: Budget baloney
Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again
House says no to bill to reduce NH meals tax
Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council