Home » News » Public Safety
Child who perished in Londonderry trailer fire identified; unattended stove sparked blaze
LONDONDERRY - An autopsy performed Friday morning identified the child who perished Thursday in a trailer fire at 17 Norwich Place.
The victim was 17-month-old Garrett Grice and the cause of death was ruled smoke inhalation. The cause of the fire has been determined to be accidental, an unattended kitchen stove, according to officials.
"Cooking oil was ignited when a burner on the stove was turned on by a child," investigators said in a statement. "The mother was unaware that a child had turned on the stove burner and she left the residence for several minutes with that child to see a relative across the street. 17-month-old Garrett Grice was alone in the residence and sleeping in his crib in a bedroom when the fire occurred. The fire developed quickly and despite rescue attempts by the child's mother, neighbors, and the fire department, the child died as a result of smoke inhalation from the fire."
State Fire Marshal William Degnan says unattended cooking is one of the leading fire death causes in New Hampshire. He encouraged the public to never leave food cooking on the stove or in the oven unattended and children should be kept away from cooking appliances.
Degnan urged all to exercise extra caution while cooking or using candles during the holiday season and to make certain you have working smoke alarms outside the sleeping areas in your home and practice fire escape drills from your home.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester collision results in pedestrian's death - 0
- Franklin’s newest police recruit, a German shepherd pup, can smell trouble - 0
- Dover police convince local man to go to hospital for evaluation - 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Burning baton twirler attracts Manchester fire truck - 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portsmouth buildings being evacuated for reported gas leak - 0
- SCORE workshop offers social media tips - 0
- Sens. Shaheen, Ayotte slam latest push for online sales tax - 3
- Bedford girls basketball team spreads the scoring wealth - 0
- New Hampshire high school athletes on the run (and jumping) in NYC - 0
- Ian Clark's High School Hockey: Teams anxious to play - 0
- Manchester Mayor Gatsas: Vote tells me Hooksett is satisfied with Manchester schools - 4
- After Pinkerton rejection, what's next for Hooksett students? - 1
- Nashua aldermen approve pair of union contracts - 0
SCORE workshop offers social media tips
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal