Home » News » Public Safety
Child who perished in Londonderry trailer fire identified; unattended stove sparked blaze
LONDONDERRY - An autopsy performed Friday morning identified the child who perished Thursday in a trailer fire at 17 Norwich Place.
The victim was 17-month-old Garrett Grice and the cause of death was ruled smoke inhalation. The cause of the fire has been determined to be accidental, an unattended kitchen stove, according to officials.
"Cooking oil was ignited when a burner on the stove was turned on by a child," investigators said in a statement. "The mother was unaware that a child had turned on the stove burner and she left the residence for several minutes with that child to see a relative across the street. 17-month-old Garrett Grice was alone in the residence and sleeping in his crib in a bedroom when the fire occurred. The fire developed quickly and despite rescue attempts by the child's mother, neighbors, and the fire department, the child died as a result of smoke inhalation from the fire."
State Fire Marshal William Degnan says unattended cooking is one of the leading fire death causes in New Hampshire. He encouraged the public to never leave food cooking on the stove or in the oven unattended and children should be kept away from cooking appliances.
Degnan urged all to exercise extra caution while cooking or using candles during the holiday season and to make certain you have working smoke alarms outside the sleeping areas in your home and practice fire escape drills from your home.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Dozens displaced by Manchester apartment building fire - 3
- Ossipee woman killed in late-night Moultonborough crash - 1
- Danville couple struggling to get back on feet after explosion - 2
- Farmington school evacuated for bomb threat; police say kids are safe - 0
- Claremont elementary school to get safer sidewalks - 0
- Fire leaves Derry family of four homeless - 0
- Homeless man rescues woman who jumped from Granite Street Bridge - 2
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
- Update: Men target practicing face felonies after report of shots fired in Hooksett - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- These all-natural candles can double as massage oil - 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 14
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 5
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
Human intervention hobbling ice fishermen
Tensions boil over after NYC police killings