Home » News » Public Safety
Child who perished in Londonderry trailer fire identified; unattended stove sparked blaze
LONDONDERRY - An autopsy performed Friday morning identified the child who perished Thursday in a trailer fire at 17 Norwich Place.
The victim was 17-month-old Garrett Grice and the cause of death was ruled smoke inhalation. The cause of the fire has been determined to be accidental, an unattended kitchen stove, according to officials.
"Cooking oil was ignited when a burner on the stove was turned on by a child," investigators said in a statement. "The mother was unaware that a child had turned on the stove burner and she left the residence for several minutes with that child to see a relative across the street. 17-month-old Garrett Grice was alone in the residence and sleeping in his crib in a bedroom when the fire occurred. The fire developed quickly and despite rescue attempts by the child's mother, neighbors, and the fire department, the child died as a result of smoke inhalation from the fire."
State Fire Marshal William Degnan says unattended cooking is one of the leading fire death causes in New Hampshire. He encouraged the public to never leave food cooking on the stove or in the oven unattended and children should be kept away from cooking appliances.
Degnan urged all to exercise extra caution while cooking or using candles during the holiday season and to make certain you have working smoke alarms outside the sleeping areas in your home and practice fire escape drills from your home.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two-alarm blaze at vacant building in Nashua - 0
- Police officer, firefighter team up to rescue dog from frozen Raymond river - 0
- Pilot safe after crash landing on Alton ice runway - 0
- Police dog Mingo is in even better hands - 0
- Manchester police honor their own for dedicated service - 1
- Damage from water main break closes portion of Allds Street in Nashua - 0
- Former UNH police chief remembered as 'amazing leader' - 0
- Pinkerton warns community of person soliciting students - 0
- Oil tanker strikes Memorial Bridge early Friday - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH delays enforcing liquor warehouse pact - 0
- Planned Parenthood funds S&M Web video - 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: Gatsas incensed by unauthorized use of his phone number for 'robocalls' - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Vote on death penalty repeal set for Wednesday - 0
- Legislative ethics: NH way works better than most - 0
- Blue shame: Obamacare's big change - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Newest Monarchs making impact - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Aging catchers cause for concern - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: It was all about chickens, alleged threats and nocturnal wanderings - 1
NH delays enforcing liquor warehouse pact
Two-alarm blaze at vacant building in Nashua
Planned Parenthood funds S&M Web video
Charles Krauthammer: The wages of weakness
NH native holds lead spot in Iditarod