All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Public Safety

Child who perished in Londonderry trailer fire identified; unattended stove sparked blaze

December 21. 2012 3:45PM

LONDONDERRY - An autopsy performed Friday morning identified the child who perished Thursday in a trailer fire at 17 Norwich Place.

The victim was 17-month-old Garrett Grice and the cause of death was ruled smoke inhalation. The cause of the fire has been determined to be accidental, an unattended kitchen stove, according to officials.

"Cooking oil was ignited when a burner on the stove was turned on by a child," investigators said in a statement. "The mother was unaware that a child had turned on the stove burner and she left the residence for several minutes with that child to see a relative across the street. 17-month-old Garrett Grice was alone in the residence and sleeping in his crib in a bedroom when the fire occurred. The fire developed quickly and despite rescue attempts by the child's mother, neighbors, and the fire department, the child died as a result of smoke inhalation from the fire."

State Fire Marshal William Degnan says unattended cooking is one of the leading fire death causes in New Hampshire. He encouraged the public to never leave food cooking on the stove or in the oven unattended and children should be kept away from cooking appliances.

Degnan urged all to exercise extra caution while cooking or using candles during the holiday season and to make certain you have working smoke alarms outside the sleeping areas in your home and practice fire escape drills from your home.

Public Safety Londonderry

More Headlines

TV fame hasn't helped Fish and Game hiring

Dump truck in fatal wreck had faulty brakes