Home » News » Public Safety
Child who perished in Londonderry trailer fire identified; unattended stove sparked blaze
LONDONDERRY - An autopsy performed Friday morning identified the child who perished Thursday in a trailer fire at 17 Norwich Place.
The victim was 17-month-old Garrett Grice and the cause of death was ruled smoke inhalation. The cause of the fire has been determined to be accidental, an unattended kitchen stove, according to officials.
"Cooking oil was ignited when a burner on the stove was turned on by a child," investigators said in a statement. "The mother was unaware that a child had turned on the stove burner and she left the residence for several minutes with that child to see a relative across the street. 17-month-old Garrett Grice was alone in the residence and sleeping in his crib in a bedroom when the fire occurred. The fire developed quickly and despite rescue attempts by the child's mother, neighbors, and the fire department, the child died as a result of smoke inhalation from the fire."
State Fire Marshal William Degnan says unattended cooking is one of the leading fire death causes in New Hampshire. He encouraged the public to never leave food cooking on the stove or in the oven unattended and children should be kept away from cooking appliances.
Degnan urged all to exercise extra caution while cooking or using candles during the holiday season and to make certain you have working smoke alarms outside the sleeping areas in your home and practice fire escape drills from your home.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Missing since October, Abby Hernandez is home - 6
- Keene police continue pedestrian collision investigation - 0
- State bomb squad explodes suspicious package in Salem parking lot - 0
- Bodies of downed plane's passengers leave Ukraine crash site for return to Netherlands - 0
- 30-year-old man found dead in Laconia apartment - 0
- AG: Missing Conway teen Abigail Hernandez reunited with family - 10
- Maine man hurt in ATV accident in northern NH - 0
- Police say North Country motor vehicle deaths down - 0
- Hiker rescued from Mount Washington - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Only a freshman, Kennedy excelled on the track - 0
- Looking Back With Aurore Eaton: The Manchester Opera House makes its stunning debut - 0
- Another View -- John Dumais: Mandatory GMO labeling is all cost, no benefit - 0
- What’s the rush? Executive Council follows Pelosi plan - 1
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats prove point - 0
- Evan Turner, Celtics see upside in new deal - 0
- Thunder take two from Fisher Cats - 0
- Ortiz, Drew (4 RBIs each) lead Red Sox hit parade against Blue Jays - 0
- Nashua settles suit over gas collection system - 0
Market Basket workers urged to 'shut it down'; deposed CEO urges fired workers be given jobs back
Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal
Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility
U.S. appeals courts issue conflicting rulings on Obamacare exchange subsidies such as NH's