'Gangnam Style' video reaches 1 billion views
LOS ANGELES - South Korean rapper Psy's infectious viral hit song, "Gangnam Style," made history on Friday as the first ever video on YouTube to reach 1 billion views, adding yet another record to the song's juggernaut journey into mainstream pop.
The song, first posted on YouTube on July 15, clocked the 1 billion milestone at 10:50 a.m. and YouTube marked the occasion with a dancing Psy doodle next to their logo.
This has been a whirlwind year for rapper Psy, 34, who is the first Korean pop artist to achieve mainstream success in the U.S. after "Gangnam Style," named after the affluent Gangnam District in Seoul, captured viewers' attention.
The rapper recently performed for President Barack Obama, met with U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and won the best video award at the MTV Europe Music Awards in November.
The video shows the outlandishly dressed Psy rap in Korean while performing an invisible horse-riding dance, which has become a pop culture trend, spurring many copycat and parody videos.
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.