Sep 4, 2014
Aug 28, 2014
Aug 21, 2014
Aug 14, 2014
Impersonating an EMT case remanded for jury trial
State Street store owner Brian Blackden testifies in the trial of Hill Police Sgt. Jonathan Evans, left, at Concord District Court on Aug. 25 this past summer. (David Lane/Union Leader File Photo)
CONCORD - Brian Blackden will get his jury trial on charges that he impersonated emergency medical workers at an accident scene more than two years ago.
The state Supreme Court ruled that he should have received a jury trial in superior court and has ordered the case remanded for a jury trial.
Blackden was charged with impersonating emergency medical personnel at an accident in Canterbury. At the time he was working as a freelance news photographer, taking pictures of accident and crime scenes, and used a converted ambulance while dressed in a coat and helmet.
Convicted by a judge in district court, Blackden exercised his right to ask for a jury trial in superior court. But the Merrimack County Attorney reduced the charge from a class A misdemeanor to a class B misdemeanor, and the judge ordered the case to a bench trial without a jury in superior court.
A unanimous Supreme Court, in an order based on papers filed in the case, agreed with Blackden that the prosecutor "improperly deprived him of that right by reducing the class A misdemeanor of which he was convicted in the circuit court to a class B misdemeanor after he appealed for a de novo jury trial in superior court.
Blackden appealed with case to the Supreme Court on his own, without an attorney. "It reminds me of an old story in the Bible called David and Goliath, that's what it feels like," Blackden said.
In the original trial, Blackden was fined $1,000 after his conviction. The justices ordered that that sentence be vacated, but said if he decides to waive his right to a jury trial in superior court, the circuit court can reimpose the sentence.
Merrimack County Attorney Scott Murray did not return a call late Friday seeking comment.
Trial on the criminal charge will be held before a jury, and Blackden said he may ask for a change of venue to get the case away from the courthouse where he was improperly given a bench trial instead of trial by jury.
"I think common sense will take over instead of what has occurred throughout this whole ordeal," he said. "I trust 12 citizens more than what I consider the play-manship on the state's side that has taken place so far."
Blackden is suing the state police in U.S. District Court in Concord, claiming that police have violated his rights. That case has been put on hold until the charges against him in the state criminal courts have been resolved.
Blackden was also the center of controversy over a case in which he claimed a group of police officers visited his business on Main Street in Concord and stole a Red Dawgs motorcycle vest.
Blackden said he bought the vest at auction and used it to promote his self-defense equipment business.
Two officers were ultimately charged in the case; one was acquitted, the other committed suicide.
The officer who went to trial on the case was acquitted because, the judge said, he brought the vest to the Concord police station soon after taking it when a group of motorcycle riders descended on Blackden's business.
Judge Gerard Boyle ruled that because the officer had the vest for a only short period of time, he lacked the requisite intent to permanently deprive Blackden in the case.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Gunman hits Circle K convenience store in Durham - 0
- Nashua man charged in domestic knife threat - 0
- Manchester man detained on Nashua rape charges involving child - 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Widow of chiropractor killed this summer says fatal shooting was no accident - 2
- Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced - 0
- Man claims rights were violated during investigation - 0
- DWI license revocations - 0
- Salem man arrested for alleged bathroom videotaping - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPS driver charged in hit-and-run at Merrimack business - 0
- Bella, a chihuahua mix, is still missing in Auburn - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
- Manchester's Delana Curtis is left out in the cold - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 25
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Brady a realist - 0
- Burning rubber: And public dollars - 0
- Obama to announce ramped-up efforts to beat Ebola - 0
DWI license revocations
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Attorney claims illegal phone seizure following Christmas Eve accident that killed Brookline mom
Win tickets to see Kip Moore
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced
Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917