June 11, 2013
June 4, 2013
May 29, 2013
May 22, 2013
Two volunteer firefighters killed in ambush at NY house fire
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Two upstate New York volunteer firefighters were shot and killed and three others were wounded on Monday at the scene of an early morning house fire in a suburb of Rochester, authorities said.
The two firefighters were shot by a gunman - who was later found dead - as they responded to the scene of several house fires in Webster, New York, according to a spokeswoman for New York State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman.
Another two firefighters were injured in the shooting and were rushed to Strong Memorial Hospital, where they remained in "guarded" condition, according to a hospital spokeswoman. A third victim, an off-duty police officer, was hit by stray gunfire as he was driving by the scene.
A body believed to be that of the shooter was later found by police outside one of the homes where the fire began. The assailant was killed by gunfire, though it was not immediately clear if the wounds were self-inflicted, authorities said.
The fire burned throughout the morning as police secured the area as a crime scene and evacuated area residents.
The dead volunteer firefighters were identified as Lt. Michael Chiapperini and Tomasz Kaczowka, according to Michelle Hook, the attorney general's spokeswoman.
The injured firefighters were identified as Joseph Hofsetter and Theodore Scardino, and the off-duty police officer was identified as John Ritter.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH man to be tried in $13 million mortgage fraud scheme - 0
- UPDATE: Elderly Nashua couple were stabbed to death - 11
- Rochester woman under arrest in underage party - 0
- Mass. police officer indicted in Salem sex assault - 2
- Russian national indicted over phony debit, credit cards - 0
- Hampton man indicted for distributing child porn - 0
- Mother of drowned baby gets prison time - 6
- Former Londonderry coach indicted in sex assault of two girls - 1
- Manchester resident interrupts burglary - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Recent 'Fugitive of the Week' Michelle Smith captured in Nashua - 0
- UPDATED: Senate, House negotiators mull compromise plan to narrowly align state insurance rules with 'Obamacare' - 1
- Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 15
- UPDATE: Salem student receives minor injuries in bus crash - 0
- House proposes special session to decide Medicaid expansion - 3
- UPDATE: Police say man found dead outside Wall Street Towers jumped - 4
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 1
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 2
- Exeter High teachers' resignations announced at meeting - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424