Mar 12, 2014
Mar 5, 2014
Feb 26, 2014
Feb 19, 2014
Two volunteer firefighters killed in ambush at NY house fire
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Two upstate New York volunteer firefighters were shot and killed and three others were wounded on Monday at the scene of an early morning house fire in a suburb of Rochester, authorities said.
The two firefighters were shot by a gunman - who was later found dead - as they responded to the scene of several house fires in Webster, New York, according to a spokeswoman for New York State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman.
Another two firefighters were injured in the shooting and were rushed to Strong Memorial Hospital, where they remained in "guarded" condition, according to a hospital spokeswoman. A third victim, an off-duty police officer, was hit by stray gunfire as he was driving by the scene.
A body believed to be that of the shooter was later found by police outside one of the homes where the fire began. The assailant was killed by gunfire, though it was not immediately clear if the wounds were self-inflicted, authorities said.
The fire burned throughout the morning as police secured the area as a crime scene and evacuated area residents.
The dead volunteer firefighters were identified as Lt. Michael Chiapperini and Tomasz Kaczowka, according to Michelle Hook, the attorney general's spokeswoman.
The injured firefighters were identified as Joseph Hofsetter and Theodore Scardino, and the off-duty police officer was identified as John Ritter.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Was a crime committed? Nashua police are not certain - 0
- Man arrested in Nashua market robbery - 0
- Fugitive of the week arrested in Maine - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: City woman connected to fatal crash in court again - 0
- UPDATED: Rochester man shot multiple times as police attempted arrest - 0
- Bedford man sentenced for lobster trap thefts - 0
- Manchester police recover $2,000 worth of painkillers in drug arrest - 2
- UPDATE: Hudson police standoff ends; person in custody - 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- No dice: House kills casino gambling bill - 0
- Poetry Out Loud championship rescheduled due to storm - 0
- Portsmouth buildings evacuated for reported gas leak - 0
- Mass. man dies in Chesterfield crash - 0
- Manchester collision results in pedestrian's death - 0
- SCORE workshop offers social media tips - 0
- Sens. Shaheen, Ayotte slam latest push for online sales tax - 4
- Bedford girls basketball team spreads the scoring wealth - 0
- New Hampshire high school athletes on the run (and jumping) in NYC - 0
SCORE workshop offers social media tips
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal