Manchester Crimewatch: Bail set at $35k for Stop and Go robbery suspects; Suspected donation jar thief arrested
Probable cause hearings were set Jan. 9, 2013 for William Elderd, 39, of Somerville, Mass., and Joseph Haywood, 27, of 13 Hospital Ave., who are accused of entering the store with what appeared to be a handgun, demanding money and firing the gun at a customer, who was not hurt.
Both men were also arraigned on other charges.
Elderd, who had to be removed from the courtroom temporarily after he got into a verbal argument with another detainee during the pre-arraignment session, is also charged with criminal threatening and disorderly conduct and trial on those charges was set for Feb. 21, 2013.
Police prosecutor Lt. Ron Mello said the threatening charge alleges Elderd told one of the arresting officers: "Find me in an alley without that badge and I'll kill you."
The disorderly conduct charge stems from Elderd's alleged belligerent behavior and shouting of obscenities, causing a disturbance in the crowded neighborhood.
Police said Elderd continued to be hostile and resisted efforts to contain him, resulting in the use of a Taser to gain his cooperation.
He also reportedly had a CO2 cartridge in his possession during the booking process.
In court Monday, Mello asked that bail conditions include a requirement that Elderd return to the Manchester Police Department to complete the booking process. Judge John Emery set bail at $35,000 cash/surety.
Haywood, who was arrested on unrelated warrants out of Hooksett and is subject to a 72-hour probation hold, was charged two felonies of falsifying evidence. He's accused of hiding BB pellets in a toilet at his residence and hiding clothing worn by the robbers in a washing machine. Haywood's bail is also $35,000 cash/surety.
Mello said both men have criminal records that include robbery.
Donation jar theft
A man accused of stealing a donation jar at the Domino's Pizza, 150 Amory St., Saturday pleaded innocent Monday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division to a misdemeanor charge of theft by unauthorized taking and trial was set for Feb. 20, 2013.
Lawrence Hulme, 41, who is homeless, is accused of taking the donation jar for St. Jude's Children's Hospital in Memphis, Tenn., which contained between $7 and $8, and putting it in his pocket before leaving the store.
Police prosecutor Lt. Ron Mello said Hulme was convicted of criminal trespass Dec. 3, which carried a $200 fine and a six-month sentence in the House of Corrections, both suspended for two years of good behavior.
Hulme protested to Judge John Emery: "I didn't sign anything about a six-month sentence."
When Hulme said he hadn't had a lawyer when he pled to the trespass charge, Emergy suggested he apply for one to represent him on the theft charge.
Hulme also objected to the $2,500 cash/surety bail set by the bail commissioner and supported by the prosecutor. Hulme said the bail commissioner set that bail amount because: "She was mad at me because I didn't have the $40 (fee)." He told the judge: "I can't afford bail at all."
Charges in 2011 robbery
A city man who is being held at the Valley Street jail on an assault charge from earlier this year was arraigned Monday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division on a felony robbery charge.
Michael Parenteau, 31, of 419 Maple St., could enter no plea to the felony charge that alleges he robbed the Northeast Credit Union, 340 Wilson St., on March 24, 2011.
Police said at the time of the robbery that the robber approached a teller and said: "Give me your money or I will blow up the place." The robber fled with an undisclosed amount of money.
A probable cause hearing on the felony was set for Jan. 9, 2013. Bail was set at $10,000 cash/surety, with a hearing on the source of any funds offered for bail and a condition that Parenteau not go to the Northeast Credit Union.
Says he's replaced her
Jorge Colon, 34, of 172 Youville St., pleaded innocent Monday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division to charges of simple assault (2), criminal threatening (2) and criminal mischief and trial was set for Feb. 21, 2013.
Colon is accused of assaulting his then-girlfriend, damaging posters and a snow globe, and threatening to burn down her residence Dec. 1, and of telling her Sunday: "I have a bullet with your name on it."
Colon told Judge John Emery that he has a new girlfriend and that his ex-girlfriend is harassing him and the new girlfriend on Facebook and the telephone. Emery told Colon to speak to his court-appointed lawyer.
Police prosecutor Lt. Ron Mello requested $7,500 cash/surety bail. Colon objected, insisting he always shows up in court. Mello said ensuring a court appearance is only one reason for bail. In this case, he said: "It's about ensuring the safety of the victim."
Mello said Colon was convicted in September 2010 of criminal threatening and assault. He said Colon also has prior convictions for robbery and assault.
Cause of unconsciousness
A man accused of choking a woman until she lost consciousness could enter no plea to a felony second-degree assault charge Monday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division.
Eric Tyler, 42, of 452 Pine St., pleaded innocent to a simple assault charge that alleges he slapped the woman on the right side of her face. He told Judge John Emery that he has witnesses who will testify the woman was on drugs.
Bail was set at $10,000 cash/surety with conditions barring contact with the woman and barring him from her residence.
A probable cause hearing on the felony was set for Jan. 9, 2013, and trial on the misdemeanor was set for Feb. 12, 2013.