Storm brings white Christmas, tornado threat in plains states
WASHINGTON - A major winter storm brought a rare white Christmas to the southern U.S. plains Tuesday, contributing to a 21-vehicle pileup that shut down a major highway in Oklahoma, thousands of power outages and the death of a Texas man.
The storm system surging east from Kansas and the Texas Panhandle included tornados and severe thunderstorms along its southern fringe, from southeastern Texas to Alabama, the National Weather Service said.
The service reported a tornado warning for the Mobile, Alabama area late Tuesday afternoon.
CenterPoint Energy reported more than 20,000 customers without power in the Houston area Tuesday afternoon.
The storm is expected to expected to evolve into a blizzard from Arkansas to southern Illinois Tuesday night, with snowfall of up to a foot in some areas, according to Accuweather.com.
The snowstorm will shift Wednesday to the eastern Great Lakes and northeast.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mid-April freezing and flooding give Granite Staters a rude awakening - 0
- Flooding closes PSU fields, local business - 0
- Colebrook almost became an island Tuesday night - 0
- Flooding shuts down North Country highways - 0
- Flood watch and rain follow day of near-record temperatures - 0
- Lack of 'hot spell' has made for mild mud season so far in central NH - 1
- With rain on the way, flooding potential eyed - 0
- Londonderry classrooms flooded - 0
- Spring roads make the going tough - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester burglar flees on skateboard - 0
- Quick-acting Litchfield woman jumps into canoe and paddles to rescue of kayaker - 0
- Police say Dover teen set fire that forced mother, 4 children from home - 0
- Man's story about stab wound questioned by Laconia police - 0
- More than 100 NH doctors victims of identity theft, tax fraud - 0
- Londonderry councilors critical of town’s economic development website - 0
- Candia teen faces more counts in connection with burglary - 0
- Suspect arrested, loot recovered 10 minutes after Derry bank robbery - 0
- Ellsbury propels Yanks over Sox - 0
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison
Lake Winnipesaukee ice-out expected today
Secret arrests? Not if we can help it
Prepare to pay more to park in Manchester
Latest Groton wind farm fight: Snow plowing