Aug 21, 2014
Aug 14, 2014
Jul 24, 2014
Jul 16, 2014
Mother's trial in her child's drowning death begins Feb. 4
MERRIMACK - A local mother who has been arrested three times since being charged with negligent homicide in the bathtub drowning of her baby boy will face trial in February.
According to court documents, jury selection for Melissa Gutierrez's trial is scheduled for Feb. 4 at Hillsborough County Superior Court in Nashua, as the deadline for any potential negotiated dispositions has passed.
Gutierrez, 26, is facing charges of negligent homicide, manslaughter, two counts of reckless conduct and two counts of endangering the welfare of a child for the Aug. 25, 2011 incident at her home at 46 Wilson Hill Rd.
Police allege that she left her two children, an 8-month-old baby and a 2-year-old boy, unattended in the bathtub for an extended period of time with the water running. The baby, Christian Ntapalis, drowned as a result of her negligence, allege police.
Court records indicate that the mother may have fallen asleep on the couch while water overflowed the bathtub where her two children played, eventually flooding the bathroom.
Gutierrez initially told authorities that she "may have dozed off," but didn't think she did because not much time had passed, even though none of the clocks in the house were working, says a motion filed by David Tencza, Assistant Hillsborough County Attorney.
An attorney for Gutierrez, Anthony Sculimbrene, has filed a motion to suppress those statements made to police, alleging they were obtained while she was hysterical over the death of her son. A court hearing on the matter was previously scheduled for Dec. 3 at Hillsborough County Superior Court, but has since been postponed until Jan. 14, 2013, court records indicate.
"The police took advantage of Ms. Gutierrez's understandably emotional state to get information from her. Under these circumstances, Ms. Gutierrez was so racked with agony and distress (as any parent would be) that she was of a mind incapable of a conscious choice," claims Sculimbrene in his motion.
The state has filed an objection to the defendant's motion to suppress illegally obtained statements, arguing Gutierrez was not subjected to a custodial interrogation at the time she made the incriminating statements to police.
"The record fails to show that detectives were engaged in any overreaching, deceptive or coercive actions," says the document filed by Tencza.
Gutierrez was originally free on bail, following her initial arrest, but was later placed on house arrest after allegedly stealing jeans from a store in Salem, and was also found to be in possession of a controlled drug. Since then, her bail has been revoked after she was subsequently arrested two more times; once on Sept. 14 for allegedly taking unpaid merchandise from a Rite Aid in Manchester, and again on Sept. 28 for allegedly operating a vehicle after suspension in Manchester.
While Gutierrez could not tell authorities how long her sons were unattended in the tub, during initial interviews, she eventually told police they were left alone for about seven to 15 minutes, and an additional three to five minutes while she searched for a towel in the basement, court documents indicate. Gutierrez later changed her story, insisting that she had not fallen asleep on the couch, but was instead cleaning the living room, according to court records.
Gutierrez, along with emergency personnel, attempted to resuscitate Christian but were unsuccessful. Her oldest son, James Blackington III, now 3, was placed in state custody, following the incident, as his father is deceased.
- - - - - - - -
Kimberly Houghton may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- June graduate of St. Paul’s School indicted on sex assault charges - 0
- Police: Activist in chicken suit was warned not to pester Shaheen prior to arrest - 1
- Judge orders prosecutors to disclose more details in Portsmouth bat beating probe - 0
- Former Claremont police dispatcher waives hearing on sexual assault charges - 2
- Some sexual assault charges dismissed against Nashua caretaker - 0
- Dover man indicted in sexual assault of young girl - 0
- Rochester man facing attempted murder charge - 0
- Mother, daughter, man charged in prostitution case in Nashua - 0
- Alleged accomplice of Dover-area burglaries indicted - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- NH Fisher Cats slam way to win over Trenton - 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Upcoming selectmen's meeting stirring controversy among Bow's firefighters - 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 24
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
ISIS beheads NH journalist
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917