Search for city school chief begins in earnest next month
MANCHESTER - The search is on for the next superintendent for Manchester city schools.
The city has hired the Chicago-based firm Proact to handle the initial search and provide the school board search committee with a list of about 12 candidates.
The five-member committee will narrow that list to three or four finalists, who will be interviewed and considered by the entire Board of School Committee.
Ted Rokas, chairman of the school board search committee, said the application period will begin in early January and run through Feb. 22. Proact expects to get about 150 applications and will provide a list of semifinalists to the Manchester board, which will take it from there.
"We've seen good. We've seen bad. We know the difference," Proact's Kelly Barton said last week during a public forum at Memorial High School. "Some people just have that gift. We're looking for that person with that gift to deliver them to you."
Proact members spent the week in Manchester, gathering feedback of what Manchester was looking for in a replacement for Tom Brennan, who is stepping down at the end of the school year.
Proact handled the search for a superintendent in Portland, Maine, and impressed Manchester Mayor Ted Gatsas, who went to local businesses and generated $25,000 in donations to hire a professional search firm. Proact won the bid and contract of $20,500, plus expenses.
"I think we all felt that we wanted to get somebody that would have a nationwide approach," Rokas said. "So far, Proact has been on top of its game and very good to work with."
- - - - - - - -
Doug Alden may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Be like Wenceslaus The king who gave of himself - 3
- 'Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus' - 0
- Slandering police: Racism in reverse - 27
- A mom's bail: Getting it right - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 12
- Proof of Santa here: Hooksett's Dick Marshall, for one - 0
- Christmas spirit: Do you have more than a homeless man? - 1
- The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama - 47
- Obama gets smoked: Castros celebrate in Havana - 38
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2014 top 10 list of wage and hour - 0
- Thumbs-up for Ebert's winner - 0
- It's Central, Merrimack - 0
- Goal: Stay healthy - 0
- Year in review: A look back at NH's top stories - 0
- Indecent proposition from New London chief was 'chilling' says victim - 1
- Details of Reams inquiry released - 0
- New Hampshire police part of funeral for slain NYC officer - 0
- Workers' rally to bring back Artie T. captured public's heart - 0
Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive
Thoughts as we move from one year to another
Details of Reams inquiry released