Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox finalize deal with Pirates for Hanrahan, Holt
The trade sending Pirates closer Joel Hanrahan to the Boston Red Sox for four young players has been completed.
The Pirates will send Hanrahan and infielder Brock Holt to the Red Sox for outfielder/first baseman Jerry Sands, right-handed pitchers Stolmy Pimentel and Mark Melancon and infielder Ivan DeJesus Jr., the Pirates announced this afternoon.
The two teams agreed to the framework of the trade Saturday.
Hanrahan, 31, joined the Pirates in a 2009 trade that sent pitcher Sean Burnett and outfielder Nyjer Morgan to the Washington Nationals. He became the closer in 2010 after the Pirates traded Octavio Dotel at the trade deadline.
He had a 2.94 ERA in four seasons with the Pirates.
Holt, 24, made his major league debut with the Pirates last season, hitting .292 in 24 games after being called up in September. Holt provided a spark for the Pirates, who faded toward the end of the season, and his name had not been publicly mentioned in trade talks until today.
Sands, 25, has spent most of his career in the Los Angeles Dodgers' minor-league organization, where he hit .289 hitter over five seasons. He has appeared in 70 games in the major leagues, where he has a .244 batting average.
Pimentel, 22, spent all 2012 and most of 2011 pitching in Class AA, where he went 6-16 with a 5.96 ERA.
The 27-year-old Melancon is a former top prospect in the Yankees system who has made 147 major league appearances. He has a career 4.07 ERA in four major league seasons.
DeJesus, 25, is a former second-round draft pick who has a .205 career major-league batting average in 48 games.
The Red Sox acquired DeJesus and Sands in the trade that sent Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford, Josh Beckett and Nick Punto to the Dodgers.
Sands, Melancon and Pimentel have been added to the Pirates' 40-man roster, and the team will have to make one corresponding move later today.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos - 23
- Lakes Region, Great Bay CC hold commencement ceremonies - 0
- UNH Law School grads told to 'serve justice' - 0
- Stonyfield founder tells FPU grads to ask, 'Why not?' - 1
- Tiny Thomas More College class urged to be courageous - 0
- Lebanon College graduates 19 - 0
- Plymouth State speaker tells grads to 'Become agents of change' - 1
- Former FBI head tells St. Anselm graduates it is important to give back - 1
- UNH commencement speaker tells graduates: Don't worry about mistakes, learn from them - 14
READER COMMENTS: 5
- Two sustained minor injuries in Rochester crash Sunday - 0
- Boat crash in Tuftonboro investigated - 0
- Manchester alderman urges review of police phone use - 13
- Updated: Man fatally shot on Manchester street; neighbors shocked - 3
- Nashua mayor to recommend Bennett for corporation counsel - 0
- Claremont group disputes incinerator plant's permit - 0
- Goffstown artisan gives new face to Wolfeboro tower - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Kiwanis and the kids - 0
- Town may have to fix grave error - 2
Town may have to fix grave error
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
Chechen decries Boston attack