May 24, 2013
May 15, 2013
May 8, 2013
May 1, 2013
Stolen baby Jesus not returned to manger
Gretyl Macalaster photos/The manger scene in front of St. Mary's Academy in Dover remained void of a baby Jesus on Christmas day after the figure was stolen sometime on Dec. 15. Staff and students were hoping the baby Jesus would be returned by Christmas morning. (GRETYL MACALASTER/Union Leader Correspondent)
St. Mary's Academy hopes for return of Jesus to manger
DOVER - Despite the best hopes and prayers of students and staff at St. Mary's Academy, a stolen baby Jesus figure was not returned to its manger scene by Christmas morning.
As the day passed, the cradle remained vacant in between statues of Mary and Joseph that have been placed outside of the Catholic elementary school for as long as any of the staff can remember.
Every year, the scene is erected outside the school on Central Avenue just after Thanksgiving and in time for the annual holiday parade. School staff said none of the statues have ever been stolen before.
A maintenance man at the school noticed the baby Jesus was missing on Saturday, Dec. 15 as he was driving by. Half of the lights in the manger scene were out, and upon further inspection, he discovered the theft.
It was reported to police, but staff remained hopeful that someone would return the baby Jesus in time for Christmas morning. Those hopes and prayers were not answered.
At least one alumni offered to pay for the replacement of the baby Jesus figure after hearing news of the theft last week.
- - - - - - - -
Gretyl Macalaster may be reached at email@example.com.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Portsmouth drug raid nets four arrests for sale of heroin - 0
- Manchester Market clerk robbed by man armed with knife - 0
- Man who spent days under Salem woman's trailer recording sentenced to prison - 2
- Man sought for attempting to lure girl into white van near Nashua school - 0
- Lawyer who made porn videos of teenage daughter gets 40 years in jail - 33
- Trial delayed for Epping man charged with shooting romantic rival - 9
- Former editor indicted on child porn charges - 3
- Somersworth man indicted for Market Basket robbery in Epping - 1
- Former editor indicted on child porn charges - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Gosselin stepping down as city AD - 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather this weekend may be more like Veterans Day - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place'
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424