Dec 19, 2013
Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Stolen baby Jesus not returned to manger
Gretyl Macalaster photos/The manger scene in front of St. Mary's Academy in Dover remained void of a baby Jesus on Christmas day after the figure was stolen sometime on Dec. 15. Staff and students were hoping the baby Jesus would be returned by Christmas morning. (GRETYL MACALASTER/Union Leader Correspondent)
DOVER - Despite the best hopes and prayers of students and staff at St. Mary's Academy, a stolen baby Jesus figure was not returned to its manger scene by Christmas morning.
As the day passed, the cradle remained vacant in between statues of Mary and Joseph that have been placed outside of the Catholic elementary school for as long as any of the staff can remember.
Every year, the scene is erected outside the school on Central Avenue just after Thanksgiving and in time for the annual holiday parade. School staff said none of the statues have ever been stolen before.
A maintenance man at the school noticed the baby Jesus was missing on Saturday, Dec. 15 as he was driving by. Half of the lights in the manger scene were out, and upon further inspection, he discovered the theft.
It was reported to police, but staff remained hopeful that someone would return the baby Jesus in time for Christmas morning. Those hopes and prayers were not answered.
At least one alumni offered to pay for the replacement of the baby Jesus figure after hearing news of the theft last week.
- - - - - - - -
Gretyl Macalaster may be reached at email@example.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 6
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 3
- City man charged with endangering child - 0
- Coos Superior Court hands up indictments - 0
- Coos County jury indicts Lancaster man in theft of firearms - 0
- Page Restaurant owners agree to pay $4,000 as part of plea deal - 0
- Driver arrested after nearly hitting Canaan police chief - 0
- Police say man attacked woman with sword - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Firefighters respond to fire at Somersworth home - 0
- Milford fatal crash remains under investigation - 0
- Snow could reschedule Super Bowl - 2
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424