June 11, 2013
June 4, 2013
May 29, 2013
May 22, 2013
Stolen baby Jesus not returned to manger
Gretyl Macalaster photos/The manger scene in front of St. Mary's Academy in Dover remained void of a baby Jesus on Christmas day after the figure was stolen sometime on Dec. 15. Staff and students were hoping the baby Jesus would be returned by Christmas morning. (GRETYL MACALASTER/Union Leader Correspondent)
St. Mary's Academy hopes for return of Jesus to manger
DOVER - Despite the best hopes and prayers of students and staff at St. Mary's Academy, a stolen baby Jesus figure was not returned to its manger scene by Christmas morning.
As the day passed, the cradle remained vacant in between statues of Mary and Joseph that have been placed outside of the Catholic elementary school for as long as any of the staff can remember.
Every year, the scene is erected outside the school on Central Avenue just after Thanksgiving and in time for the annual holiday parade. School staff said none of the statues have ever been stolen before.
A maintenance man at the school noticed the baby Jesus was missing on Saturday, Dec. 15 as he was driving by. Half of the lights in the manger scene were out, and upon further inspection, he discovered the theft.
It was reported to police, but staff remained hopeful that someone would return the baby Jesus in time for Christmas morning. Those hopes and prayers were not answered.
At least one alumni offered to pay for the replacement of the baby Jesus figure after hearing news of the theft last week.
- - - - - - - -
Gretyl Macalaster may be reached at email@example.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH man to be tried in $13 million mortgage fraud scheme - 0
- UPDATE: Elderly Nashua couple were stabbed to death - 10
- Rochester woman under arrest in underage party - 0
- Mass. police officer indicted in Salem sex assault - 2
- Russian national indicted over phony debit, credit cards - 0
- Hampton man indicted for distributing child porn - 0
- Mother of drowned baby gets prison time - 6
- Former Londonderry coach indicted in sex assault of two girls - 1
- Manchester resident interrupts burglary - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATED: Senate, House negotiators mull compromise plan to narrowly align state insurance rules with 'Obamacare' - 0
- Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 10
- UPDATE: Salem student receives minor injuries in bus crash - 0
- House proposes special session to decide Medicaid expansion - 3
- UPDATE: Police say man found dead outside Wall Street Towers jumped - 4
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 1
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 2
- Exeter High teachers' resignations announced at meeting - 0
- LeBron, Heat edge Spurs in OT, force Game 7 - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424