Apr 19, 2014
Apr 10, 2014
Apr 3, 2014
Mar 12, 2014
Driver found with gunshot wound after hit-and-run call
An investigator looks into an SUV where a motorist was found with a gunshot wound early this morning near Jane and Nashua streets in Manchester. (Jeffrey Hastings)
MANCHESTER — Police are investigating the shooting of a 25-year-old man found critically wounded in the driver's seat of a sport-utility vehicle Thursday.
Police found the SUV near the intersection of Jane and Nashua streets, where it had collided with a smaller vehicle.
The call came in around 3 a.m. as a hit-and-run report, but the responding officers found that was not the case when they saw the two vehicles and wounded driver in the Toyota SUV, Manchester Police Capt. Nick Willard said.
“We're trying to piece together the events that led up to that,” Willard said.
Police did not believe the shooting was random and were investigating whether it was connected to something that happened earlier, Willard said.
Residents in the area told officers they believed they had heard gunshots; the back window of the SUV was shattered. Reports at the scene indicated the man had been shot in the head.
The man, whose name was not released, was in critical condition at Elliot Hospital, Willard said, referring all other questions to Senior Assistant Attorney General Jeffery Strelzin.
Strelzin said investigators were still checking out leads and speaking to witnesses. The exact location of the shooting remained under investigation and, as of 8 p.m. Thursday, no arrest had been made, Strelzin said.
“We know the general area where the shooting took place, but the exact spot is still under investigation,” Strelzin said.
He said authorities will anticipate being able to release more information about the shooting Friday.
- - - - - - - -
Doug Alden may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Citizens Bank robbed Saturday in Manchester - 0
- Four burglaries reported in Manchester on Thursday - 0
- Manchester woman arrested twice in two days - 1
- Police say trio used Craigslist to lure, rob contractor - 7
- Burglars take $210K in cash from safe in Salem home - 0
- Judge rejects new rape trial for ex-Salem planning board member - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Man accused of writing company checks to himself - 0
- Police say man clocked doing 100 on Route 11 in Wilmot - 0
- Portsmouth arrests 2 for heroin sales - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Salem man faces DWI charge after Manchester crash - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: It's time to make legislative sausage - 0
- Memory of bombings remains vivid for those who were there - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: No power play in aldermanic chambers, mayor in good spirits - 1
- On Baseball: Locke pitches game in minor league rehab - 0
- NH's top prospects happy to be part of Boston - 0
- Relative newcomers vie for Boston title - 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: New Hampshire makes a big deal about Boston Marathon - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data
Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Restaurant owner faces up to challenge of Obamacare
'He is risen': 'As he said'
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917