Home » News » Public Safety
Two-alarm fire leaves several Dover residents out in cold
DOVER - In the midst of a wind-driven snowstorm, area firefighters battled a two-alarm fire for hours that destroyed a house on Horne Street Thursday.
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded at 1:46 p.m. after a fire was spotted throughout a 2½-story New England style home at 26 Horne St., according to Fire Lt. Dave Hanna.
Hanna said the windy weather and six to eight inches of snow on the ground made everything harder for firefighters.
"The cold definitely slows everything down," Hanna said, adding fire crews had to work extra hard to stretch hoses, move ladders and stay warm.
Hanna said there were no injuries and it helped to have so many fire departments at the scene - especially since firefighters were able to contain the fire and prevent it from spreading.
Hanna said local crews were assisted by firefighters from Durham, Portsmouth, Rochester, Rollinsford, and Somersworth. He added firefighters from Durham, Newington and Berwick, Maine provided station coverage.
While Hanna said he wasn't sure anyone was home when the fire began, the five to six residents in the home will need to find a place to stay.
He estimated the fire, smoke and water caused about $300,000 in damage.
While firefighters from neighboring communities were released, Hanna said local crews cleared the scene around 6 p.m. He added one fire crew will stay at the scene overnight to secure the area for the investigation, watch for rekindling and keep everyone safe.
Once the fire was under control, Hanna said firefighters began the investigation using powerful lights Thursday evening. He said no cause for the fire has been determined at this time.
- - - - - - - -
John Quinn may be reached at email@example.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Answers sought after bomb squad leaves Fitzwilliam - 0
- Nottingham man injured in wagon accident suing Hampton Falls orchard - 1
- Lightning strikes Manchester home, sparks fire - 0
- Asphalt truck overturns in Jaffrey - 0
- Police to educate Manchester motorists on distracted driving - 7
- Bird's nest may have caused house fire in Hudson - 1
- New Ipswich man burned in garage fire, flown to Boston - 0
- Two sustained minor injuries in Rochester crash Sunday - 0
- Boat crash in Tuftonboro investigated - 0
READER COMMENTS: 5
- Updated: NH House defies Hassan, kills casino bill by 35-vote margin - 19
- Threats at Goffstown High ‘not credible’ - 0
- House votes to ban lead sinkers and jigs an ounce or under - 9
- House passes auto dealers bill of rights - 2
- Rochester man facing up to 30 years in prison for brutal assault - 1
- Man who confronts burglar in Nashua gets bit - 0
- Police say Nashua man struck woman with Jeep - 0
- Pease chosen to receive new KC-46A refueling tanker; to bring 100 jobs - 9
- FBI agent kills Florida man during questioning about Marathon bombing suspect - 3
License revocations for DWI announced
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs