Home » News » Public Safety
Two-alarm fire leaves several Dover residents out in cold
DOVER - In the midst of a wind-driven snowstorm, area firefighters battled a two-alarm fire for hours that destroyed a house on Horne Street Thursday.
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded at 1:46 p.m. after a fire was spotted throughout a 2½-story New England style home at 26 Horne St., according to Fire Lt. Dave Hanna.
Hanna said the windy weather and six to eight inches of snow on the ground made everything harder for firefighters.
"The cold definitely slows everything down," Hanna said, adding fire crews had to work extra hard to stretch hoses, move ladders and stay warm.
Hanna said there were no injuries and it helped to have so many fire departments at the scene - especially since firefighters were able to contain the fire and prevent it from spreading.
Hanna said local crews were assisted by firefighters from Durham, Portsmouth, Rochester, Rollinsford, and Somersworth. He added firefighters from Durham, Newington and Berwick, Maine provided station coverage.
While Hanna said he wasn't sure anyone was home when the fire began, the five to six residents in the home will need to find a place to stay.
He estimated the fire, smoke and water caused about $300,000 in damage.
While firefighters from neighboring communities were released, Hanna said local crews cleared the scene around 6 p.m. He added one fire crew will stay at the scene overnight to secure the area for the investigation, watch for rekindling and keep everyone safe.
Once the fire was under control, Hanna said firefighters began the investigation using powerful lights Thursday evening. He said no cause for the fire has been determined at this time.
- - - - - - - -
John Quinn may be reached at email@example.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Assisted living facility proposed for Londonderry - 0
- Plaistow police chief passes away after battle with cancer - 0
- Fire damages building at Jaffrey transfer station - 0
- Manchester chief now one of 2 finalists for Somerville post - 0
- Coco is back in jail, but maybe not for long - 1
- Jaffrey fire at transfer station - 0
- Manchester police chief a finalist for Somerville job - 2
- Officials probe fire at Jaffrey trash sorting building - 0
- Missing Conway girl's mother not giving up hope - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland Sea Dogs get past NH Fisher Cats in righty’s first AA start of season - 0
- Keene Swamp Bats edge Sanford in NECBL action - 0
- Manchester's Hanover St. block party kicks off block party season - 0
- Little, MacDonald 1-2 in wild K&N 100 in Loudon - 0
- Kyle Busch focused leading up to Camping World RV Sales 301 - 0
- Somersworth man charged in three incidents - 0
- Hosts hoping for extended Little League district final - 0
- Manchester forums will allow public to question principal finalists - 0
- NH Supreme Court: Indigent woman entitled to state-funded services - 0
Coco is back in jail, but maybe not for long
Outrageous waste: You overpaid by how much?
Another View -- Tiler Eaton: The Northern Pass project would help, not hurt, NH's economy
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
Alewives and leeches; fireworks in the rain