Home » News » Public Safety
Toddler expected to return home after scare in Rochester
ROCHESTER - Friends and family are relieved to hear that a toddler will be returning home soon after being sent to the hospital Wednesday morning.
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded to 5 Kim Lane at 10:50 a.m. after receiving a report that an 18-month-old girl collapsed near an extension cord, which powers the phone. It remains unclear what caused the "acute life threatening injury," according to family friends Ed and Leslie Jerlinski, who own the home.
Leslie Jerlinski said the girl and her family were visiting for the holidays when she collapsed while she was standing near the cord.
"She just happened to fall forward and she just turned blue," Leslie Jerlinski said, adding they called 911 while checking her airway.
While the girl was held overnight at Frisbie Memorial Hospital for observation, Leslie Jerlinski said she should be coming home later today. She added doctors could not determine what happened, but they suspect the girl may have stopped breathing briefly as she was having trouble breathing at the time.
"They're still not sure," she said.
Nonetheless, Leslie Jerlinski said the girl appeared fine throughout the night.
"She's good - she's been happy-go-lucky ever since," Leslie Jerlinski said.
Fire Marshal Dominick Bellio said firefighters could not confirm electricity was a factor in the matter.
Fire Lt. Dennis Dube said firefighters inspected the home - including nearby outlets, equipment and the circuit breakers - as a precaution, but they found nothing to indicate there was any faulty equipment, but police collected evidence - including the extension cord.
Police could not be reached for comment about the status of the investigation.
READER COMMENTS: 6
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
- Claremont police warn public about suspicious soda bottles - 0
- Mechanical failure ruled out in fatal plane crash that claimed lives of two Kingston men - 0
- UPDATED: Cause of three-alarm Derry blaze under investigation - 1
- Woman shot during Manchester drug raid ID'd - 0
- Weare police chief on leave amid domestic violence probe - 2
- Traffic backed up a mile in Hampton tractor-trailer accident - 0
- Citizen's Police Academy in Manchester set for Oct. 1 - 0
- Heating unit cause of blaze in Manchester - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's job problem needs more than one fix - 3
- USNH's raw deal: Part deux - 2
- Every vote counts: Here is the proof - 2
- College Sports Roundup: NEC's Locke scores twice in soccer win - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Campbell, Jutras blank Gilford - 0
- Pirates stay hot, blank Red Sox - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua - 2
- NHIAA Golf: Crusaders teeing up special year - 0
Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua
Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Every vote counts: Here is the proof