Home » News » Public Safety
Toddler expected to return home after scare in Rochester
ROCHESTER - Friends and family are relieved to hear that a toddler will be returning home soon after being sent to the hospital Wednesday morning.
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded to 5 Kim Lane at 10:50 a.m. after receiving a report that an 18-month-old girl collapsed near an extension cord, which powers the phone. It remains unclear what caused the "acute life threatening injury," according to family friends Ed and Leslie Jerlinski, who own the home.
Leslie Jerlinski said the girl and her family were visiting for the holidays when she collapsed while she was standing near the cord.
"She just happened to fall forward and she just turned blue," Leslie Jerlinski said, adding they called 911 while checking her airway.
While the girl was held overnight at Frisbie Memorial Hospital for observation, Leslie Jerlinski said she should be coming home later today. She added doctors could not determine what happened, but they suspect the girl may have stopped breathing briefly as she was having trouble breathing at the time.
"They're still not sure," she said.
Nonetheless, Leslie Jerlinski said the girl appeared fine throughout the night.
"She's good - she's been happy-go-lucky ever since," Leslie Jerlinski said.
Fire Marshal Dominick Bellio said firefighters could not confirm electricity was a factor in the matter.
Fire Lt. Dennis Dube said firefighters inspected the home - including nearby outlets, equipment and the circuit breakers - as a precaution, but they found nothing to indicate there was any faulty equipment, but police collected evidence - including the extension cord.
Police could not be reached for comment about the status of the investigation.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Milford fatal crash remains under investigation - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- Family trying to recover from fire 2 weeks before Christmas - 0
- Derry police add a new officer to the department - 0
- 1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford - 0
- 'Good Morning America' viewers see how much people care about missing Abigail Hernandez - 2
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- Claremont homeless man found dead - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Donald Trump to visit NH - 1
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 4
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 2
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072